[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Capturing and Importing Media  > Re: Converting Kodak MOV video files to AVI    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Converting Kodak MOV video files to AVI
RonSmith is not online. Last active: 11/13/2005 10:48:51 AM RonSmith
Total Posts: 26

Converting Kodak MOV video files to AVI
Posted: 04 Nov 2005 11:00 PM
Does anyone have any experience in converting a MOV file to AVI for use in Movie Maker.

The MOV files came from a Kodak Z7590 digital camera, running in a video mode.

I have actually used the Apple Quick Time Pro player to convert the files to AVI files, but frankly the conversion is really crappy (terrible pixelation and missing or blank pixels) -- not a good conversion at all -- in fact, pretty unusable.

The file looks good playing on the Quick Time player, but terrible on the Windows Media player after the conversion to AVI.

1. Has anyone had success in converting these particular files. Can you suggest a conversion program.

2. Should I expect a good conversion in going backwards from MOV to AVI, or is the above problem the best I can do with this direction of conversion (I hope not).
--
Ron in Round Rock
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Re: Converting Kodak MOV video files to AVI
Posted: 05 Nov 2005 12:25 AM
Have you read through www.papajohn.org > Importing Source Files > Video > MOV ? Or check out Newsletter #22 on the Tutorials page (click the far upper-right link on these forums).

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos

Posted: 07 Nov 2005 10:48 AM
Blaine- Yes, I had, read through them in the past, but kind-of forgot that I did so, so I went back and re-read them.

As I mentioned, the Quick Time Pro conversion is really lousy. The RAD Video Tools don't work either -- strange since that seems to be one of their strong selling points. The RAD program was aborting with one of those "... encountered a problem ..." errors, and after re-reading PapaJohn's documentation, I tried it again -- and now, the program doesn't abort, it just doesn't do anything. I sent them a note on both occasions, but have not heard anything back -- maybe because I haven't contributed anything to them -- which I would be happy and intend to do, but not for something that doesn't work.

I noticed a one-line ad and link (at the top of these forums) to a program called ConvertMovie. I did try that and it "does" work, and the MOV to AVI results are good. However, now that I have that, I want one more conversion, and that is MOV to MPEG2. ConvertMovie is supposed to do that also, but it doesn't work, doesn't do anything. If they can fix that, they have a customer.

I understand in theory how this codec business works, but don't yet know what, if any, control I have over the codecs.
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 07 Nov 2005 02:21 PM
Is it possible that the MPEG-2 encoding is only in the purchased product and not the trial version? Looking at their site it definitely looks like it would do the MPEG-2 conversion for placement on a DVD, so I suggest contacting them.

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 09 Nov 2005 10:47 PM
Blaine-

Thanks for the note -- and to follow-up on my previous comments -- those guys at RAD Video Tools never did get back to me, even though I emailed them twice -- once with the file that wouldn't convert and again a few days later trying to ask them for help -- even when I explained I would be a contributor if their stuff works (gladly pay for stuff that works).

However, when I tried the MOV to AVI conversion with ConvertMovie, a product of MOVAVI, it worked perfectly the first time (much, much better than the Quick Time conversion) -- and then I wanted more -- I wanted MOV to MPEG. That didn't seem to work -- so I emailed them and got an immediate response -- with some suggestions and asked to try it again because they said it should work. I tried again, and even though I didn't change anything, except perhaps a re-boot the next morning, the MOV to MPEG conversion worked fine. Tried it several times, with different files -- all worked.

OK, so now I am the proud licensee of ConvertMovie by MOVAVI -- and the price was only slightly more than what I would have sent to RAD Video Tools.

So in my case, I would strongly favor ConvertMovie by MOVAVI over the RAD Video Tools, and can't really say anything good about RAD Video Tools at all -- they don't work and they don't answer their email.

ConvertMovie: 1 RAD Video Tools: 0

P.S. As I start messing around with this video editing, encoding, etc., my system gets real flakey at times (like, above, when the MOV to MPEG that didn't work until after a re-boot). Other programs, like IE, start hanging and aborting -- is this normal -- is this some cort of codex hangover.
--
Ron in Round Rock
twoshane is not online. Last active: 6/3/2006 10:37:49 AM twoshane
Total Posts: 1

Posted: 03 Jun 2006 10:36 AM
I picked up a Kodak DX6340 easy share camera.......

The write up.

The build quality is garbage - very flimsy construction. The software is a conjob, rigged by Kodak and Apple Quick Time, they give you the basic software and then pressure you to upgrade to the premium software. This racket is supported by the firmware being set to only take movies in MOV format, and the files after full conversion in to AVI (RADTOOLS) and then WMV, with almost no discernable loss of video or sound quality, compress down to 1/7th their size.

Kodak and Apple do dirty deals for mutual kickbacks.

Online registration is a conjob, as "registering for warranty" also means that not only do you have to fill out a 72 question market reasearch survey where you have to answer all the questions; then your details DO get shared amongst all of the Kodak branches and their affiliates - so Kodak and their affiliates then start spamming. The opt out is a JOKE, meaning that you have to then opt out of every seperate affiliate and department.

Kodak is the apitamy of dirty deals in the fine print.

The customer service under warranty is absolutely appalling.

In a technical sense, the camera is very good. The build quality is junk, the software is sleazy and inadequate, and Kodak are a pack of corporate scumbags.

I will never ever buy another kodak product as long as I live.

If Kodak want to buggerise customers around, and they do, and lock them into an idiot and incompatable movie format, with bloated file sizes, then they can stick their camera.

My recomendation - if the camera doesn't run "universal and freindly" film making software, that is easially edited or converted by everybody free ware, then don;t buy it.

mimomoviemaker is not online. Last active: 6/20/2010 6:49:15 AM mimomoviemaker
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1375

Posted: 03 Jun 2006 01:29 PM
I used a Sony Handycam for the first time yesterday and captured it into Movie Maker and it was very simple!
bmesander is not online. Last active: 5/18/2011 12:54:45 PM bmesander
Total Posts: 1

Posted: 18 May 2011 12:54 PM
Try this procedure and see if it works for you:

Link removed by a moderator
neophyte is not online. Last active: 3/9/2018 9:52:14 PM neophyte
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 20182

Posted: 18 May 2011 09:52 PM
bmesander - welcome to the forums.

FYI, you can save movies at higher resolutions (such as 1080p) in WMM thru the use of what is known as a custom profile; see this page on PapaJohn's website for more info on creating and using custom profiles.

Out of curiosity, what converter did you use when you tried converting the files to wmv format? The reason I ask is that converting unsupported file formats to wmv format is usually the best approach when using WMM.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 19 May 2011 12:28 PM
I also want to know why a thread from 2006 was dredged up to add a link to a blog. Are they really trying to help, or are they trying to get traffic?

Blaine
YouTube videos
PapaJohn is not online. Last active: 2/23/2015 2:43:58 PM PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 13291

Posted: 19 May 2011 02:24 PM
I agree CG.... my first instinct when seening a one line response which is a link... from a first time poster... is to simly move it to the SPAM forum without even checking the link.

If it was a real post and poster I'd expect an opening paragraph written by person.

... my website isn't here... it's at www.papajohn.org
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Goto to page:  Prev Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Capturing and Importing Media  > Re: Converting Kodak MOV video files to AVI