[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Windows Movie Maker Tips and Tricks  > Clone yourself using WMM !    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Clone yourself using WMM !
zero is not online. Last active: 7/25/2006 2:22:37 PM zero
Total Posts: 123

Clone yourself using WMM !
Posted: 14 Apr 2006 11:40 PM
There is a vertical split screen transition you can use between two overlapping video clips (which were recorded at different times in the same room), and ca gives the illusion of being filmed at the same time. One of the video clips is shown at the left side of the screen, and the other one on the right of the screen. You can 'clone' yourself using this trick!

Using WMM, you make one of the videos overlap (i.e., drag the one on the right over the one on the left), and apply the "VERTICAL: Split Soft' transistion over the two. The transition 'softly' splits the two overplapped video clips vertically, through the centre, and can make lighting differences less noticeable compared with using the 'VERTICAL: Split' transition. It can be found and easily downloaded at www.thefxarchive.com. Timing, trimming, and altering the amount the videos overlap can become tedious, but when done correctly, the video can look quite convincing in the end and worth the effort!

Here is an example which I made a while ago (don't worry its quick to load):
expired link

I hope I haven't confused people. Here are the steps in more detai:

----- HOW TO DO IT -----

1. First step, you need to get a hold of the soft split screen transition which can be found on www.wmmarchive.tk. Go there and in the 'Effects/Transitions' section, search for the transition package titled 'Rehan's Transitions Split x 24.' Follow the instructions to download. Close WMM if you already had it open. Then open it again after correctly downloading the package, so that it can update.

2. Find an appropriate room to film in, where changes in light are unlikely (e.g., in a room with artificial lighting -verses a room with sunlight).

3. Set the the video camera up so that when you record, the subject is well into the left side of the screen, and again, but well into the right side of the screen.

4. Capture the video as you normally do. You can choose to save the recordings (i.e., the one where the subject is on the left of the room, and the one with the subject on the right) as two seperate clips when you capture, or you can easily split them in WMM.

5. Open Windows Movie Maker and Import as usual. If you prepared the video as TWO clips already when you captured, then ignore the rest of this step. If you want to split the video into two seperate ones in WMM, then drag and drop the video onto the Video timeline. Select the part of the clip where you want it to seperate, and click on the little icon at the bottom of the preview screen which splits it. Make sure you have this video clip selected first because otherwise the program won't know what media you are trying to split!

6. You might need to alter the length of the clips (i.e., trim) - for example, if at the start of one clip, there is like 10 seconds of the subject moving to the other side of the room, you might want to get rid of part of it. Don't trim too much, though, because the next few steps requires important timing and may need to be compensated by more/less video on one side of the screen or other.

7. Merge/Overlap the clip on the right (in the video timeline) over the one on the left. I forget which one you need on the left or right.. but you'll figure this out soon. Basically, select the one on the right and drag it over the other one.

8. Go to the WMM transitions and drag and drop the 'SPLIT: Vertical Soft" transition onto the overlap of the clips. Nothing too difficult about this step.....

9. Now it gets fun. When you look at the preview, you should be seeing one of the clips playing on the left, and the other on the right. At this point, you might have realised that you need to change the ordering of the two clips on the timeline. If so, make it so the second clip is now the first clip. You'll have to make them overlap again and apply the same transition.

10. Have a good play around with trimming the clips and altering the amount they are overlapped so that it looks right. This might take some time and become a little tedious. You might even find that you need to film again and go back through the steps again to this point! Good luck here.

11. You will find that the video clips will never completely overlap. So, if you save the video, you will probably notice a split second before the two videos run simultaneously on the left and right side. For example, if the video is about you sitting on a chair on the left and right side of a room in both clips, then for a split second you will only see yourself sitting on one side of the room before the 'other you' is seeing sitting on the other side. To get around this, save the project first as either a DV-AVI or best-quality WMV file. Import it back into WMM and drag & drop onto the video timeline in a new project, then trim the start and end of the video which are not overlapped. Save the project again as whatever type (wmv or DV-AVI), and you are done!

12. Watch the video, share it, and enjoy!

Any comments appreciated ;)

Conceptual/Experimental Short Films
Zero Signal Productions
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Re: Clone yourself using WMM !
Posted: 15 Apr 2006 01:47 AM
I'm going to have to remember this thread the next time someone asks about a cloning tutorial. Very nicely done!

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos
fishycomics is not online. Last active: 8/3/2016 1:46:49 PM fishycomics
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 7305

Posted: 15 Apr 2006 08:16 AM
pefection but the roof line is off by 1 to 2 inchs Lol
a tuturial section would be great
this was done and talked about.

again nice work

ALL YOUR XMLS IN THIS LINK===> tranistions and effects in alphabetical order <===All your XMLS IN THIS LINK!

thank you in advance If I never say
zero is not online. Last active: 7/25/2006 2:22:37 PM zero
Total Posts: 123

Posted: 16 Apr 2006 02:40 AM
Thanks people

By the way, fishycomics, the roof line doesn't quite look straight because of the way the windows are positioned. Its a vertical transitory split, so if you look at the table, it's absolutely linear. :)

Conceptual/Experimental Short Films
Zero Signal Productions
Force2BRW is not online. Last active: 5/26/2006 11:50:45 PM Force2BRW
Total Posts: 7

Posted: 01 May 2006 11:36 PM
I got the Composition A add B thing off of the internet (http://www.wmmarchive.tk/), and put them in a folder in shared called "AddOnTMVfolder" (shared/AddOnTMVfolder). I put the files in there, but i can't find a way to access those transitions/effects i got of the internet. Yes, i am new at this so i am sorry, but how do you then access thos trans/FX in the folder? Also, i could not find the Vertical thing you talked about on that website, but nice video, it looks completely legit
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 02 May 2006 12:45 AM
You have the wrong folder name. It is AddOnTFX... check your other post on this same topic (view post 53323).

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
YouTube videos
Force2BRW is not online. Last active: 5/26/2006 11:50:45 PM Force2BRW
Total Posts: 7

Posted: 02 May 2006 05:48 PM
thank you it seem to work now. But i still can't find the Vertical: Split transition, it doesn't seem to be on that website (or maybe it's called something else and i just can't find it). Also, is there a Horizontal split? Thanks again guys, you've been a big help.
silentroguex is not online. Last active: 5/28/2006 4:49:29 PM silentroguex
Total Posts: 6

Posted: 25 May 2006 09:06 PM
nice effect, i tried cloning more than one clone and this happened, nont exactly bad, but not perfect either http://media.putfile.com/3-Clones
mimomoviemaker is not online. Last active: 6/20/2010 6:49:15 AM mimomoviemaker
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1375

Posted: 03 Jun 2006 03:05 PM
The Verticle Split comes in a free package by Rehan. You can download it here.
miqt is not online. Last active: 3/4/2008 3:42:19 PM miqt
Total Posts: 21

Posted: 01 Jul 2007 07:45 PM
is there any xml code instead of doin that?
Ailysa is not online. Last active: 7/11/2007 8:56:14 PM Ailysa
Total Posts: 13

Posted: 03 Jul 2007 11:23 PM
Looks cool. :o

"You are lost the instant you know what the result will be" - John Gris
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 04 Jul 2007 11:53 AM
migt,

Rehan's SPLIT transitions *are* xml already... and the steps aren't that difficult to follow. I don't know why people get the idea that .xml is magic and it will do all the work. You have to do some of the work to film the two clips, but after that you just put the two clips on your timeline, add the SPLIT transition and overlap the two clips as much as possible.

Blaine
YouTube videos
miqt is not online. Last active: 3/4/2008 3:42:19 PM miqt
Total Posts: 21

Posted: 05 Jul 2007 10:04 PM
o srry about that, i didn't read the steps right...my bad. sorry for the ignorance.
sof337 is not online. Last active: 6/27/2009 4:58:43 PM sof337
Total Posts: 1

Posted: 25 Jun 2009 08:13 PM
thanks
Ana Banana is not online. Last active: 8/26/2009 8:52:11 PM Ana Banana

Posted: 26 Aug 2009 08:52 PM
www.wmmarchive.tk.
Yeah this site is like not real ?!?! >:O WTF!
anraul is not online. Last active: 9/5/2009 7:52:43 AM anraul

Posted: 05 Sep 2009 07:52 AM
Hi, it is a fantastic advice that you shared with us.
Thanks a lot!

http://www.kontacs.com/
WiiMaster64 is not online. Last active: 2/14/2011 9:20:17 PM WiiMaster64
Total Posts: 34

Posted: 13 Oct 2009 10:18 PM
I wish the ones for vista were free.... *sigh*

[url=http://www.userbars.be][img]http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/8696/18558ny7.png[/img][/url]
PatrickL is not online. Last active: 4/15/2018 4:34:22 PM PatrickL
pleabo.home.comcast.net
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1305

Posted: 23 Oct 2009 07:53 PM
WiiMaster, check your other post on vertical split. Also, view post 215055 on cloning/ghosting.

PatrickL

DPL Freeware Effects and Transitions for Vista MM Website
bringbackthesurf is not online. Last active: 12/18/2009 1:32:45 AM bringbackthesurf
Total Posts: 2

Posted: 26 Nov 2009 10:12 PM
This has all been a great help, but I'm still struggling with the soft split... my sound is still in "fade" mode. So even though I still have myself and my "clone" in the same shot, the first video starts off louder and fades out and the second video fades in... any suggestions?
PatrickL is not online. Last active: 4/15/2018 4:34:22 PM PatrickL
pleabo.home.comcast.net
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1305

Posted: 27 Nov 2009 11:22 AM
The audio fade InOut is the default for overlayed clips. Not changeable.

One way around that is to mute the two overlapped clips and put the audio you want on the Audio/Music timeline.

PatrickL

DPL Freeware Effects and Transitions for Vista MM Website
Blu3Wind is not online. Last active: 3/9/2010 11:31:19 PM Blu3Wind
Total Posts: 3

Posted: 09 Mar 2010 10:38 PM
I have tried this..
But all I get is one video fading to another video...
Thoughtful17 is not online. Last active: 4/4/2010 8:25:50 PM Thoughtful17

Posted: 03 Apr 2010 07:24 PM
Wow thanks! I've always wanted to do this! I'll definitely have to try this out! =D
MusicalFoxDemon is not online. Last active: 7/19/2010 2:54:23 PM MusicalFoxDemon

Posted: 19 Jul 2010 02:54 PM
Well i treid going to the site, but some kind of morgate site came up....
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 29 Nov 2011 04:05 AM
First, for anyone looking for an example video, the result looks something like this Cloned Kids (Test). The only difference is you can't have someone moving from one side to the other if you are using WMM.

Second, if you are having trouble finding the correct transition(s), this will help:
If you are on WMM 2.x (XP), then use Rehan's Split Video Transitions which includes 'SPLIT: Vertical Soft'
If you are on WMM 6.0 (Vista), then use Rehan's ShaderTFX which includes 'RehanFX Split Vertical AB Soft' and 'RehanFX Split Vertical BA Soft'.

Blaine
YouTube videos
mabaydar is not online. Last active: 1/29/2012 10:40:55 AM mabaydar

Posted: 13 Jan 2012 10:49 PM
I downloaded Rehan's ShaderTFX successfully on my computer, Window 7 which I already install WMM 6.0.
But there is no transition called 'RehanFX Split Vertical AB Soft' and 'RehanFX Split Vertical BA Soft' in the package.
Only include RehanFX PIP: A B vertical split center. So that is the effect for cloning??
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 2Goto to page: [1], 2 Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Windows Movie Maker Tips and Tricks  > Clone yourself using WMM !