[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Windows Movie Maker Tips and Tricks  > Adding slow motion sections to a movie, how?    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Adding slow motion sections to a movie, how?
pompebled is not online. Last active: 9/21/2014 6:02:15 PM pompebled
Total Posts: 5

Adding slow motion sections to a movie, how?
Posted: 21 Sep 2014 10:43 AM
Hi there!

I'm using WMM version 2012 to edit my clips, I'm still strugling a bit on how to remove parts without throwing out the parts I want to keep, but now I want to know if it's possible to add a slow motion section to an existing movie.

I know I can speed up, or slow down the play back, but is it possible to slow down only the part where 'the crash' occurs and save that to the movie?

If what I want is impossible, do I have to make a seperate clip of the crash and save it in a slower playback setting (if that's at all possible) and add that to the movie?
In that case I'd like to know how to go about that, because the whole cutting and splitting thing has managed to elude me sofar...

Regards, Jan.

Re: Adding slow motion sections to a movie, how?
Posted: 21 Sep 2014 11:40 AM
Right, I made a seperate clip of the crash and saved it in slow motion.

Now I want to add it to the earlier made movie and position it right after the crash occured in normal speed.

Is that possible? If so, how?

Regards, Jan.
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Posted: 21 Sep 2014 01:21 PM
Any effect, for example slow motion, is applied to the selected clip. If you want to apply it to part of a clip, you need to split it.

Here's how I would do it:
1) Add your original long clip to the timeline.
2) Go to the point where you want the slow motion to start and make a split (just press M on the keyboard, or click the Video Tools | Edit | Split button).
3) Go to the point where you want the slow motion to stop and make another split (M on the keyboard, or Split button).
4) You should now have 3 clips shown in your storyboard/project area. Select the middle one.
5) Change the speed on the middle clip so it is slower.

There is no need to trim the clip and slow it down, then save it as a movie and bring it into another project. Just do it all in the original project using the steps above.

The key is to learn how to use the Split capability.

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos

Posted: 21 Sep 2014 06:02 PM
Thanks Blaine,

I did it the elaborate way, as I wanted to keep the original footage at the normal speed and add the slow motion section of the crash, after which the original clip continues.

I'll go and practice your way how to work the Split capability (having the Dutch version sometimes adds to my confusion...).

Regards, Jan.
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Posted: 22 Sep 2014 03:03 AM
By the way, if you want to switch the language from Dutch to another language, you can always change your Windows Essentials settings:
Windows Essentials Language Selector.

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Windows Movie Maker Tips and Tricks  > Adding slow motion sections to a movie, how?