[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Windows Live Movie Maker 2011  > Audio and video track separation?    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Audio and video track separation?
ramkuma is not online. Last active: 8/14/2013 9:01:08 AM ramkuma
Total Posts: 43

Audio and video track separation?
Posted: 26 Jul 2013 11:23 AM
Can you separate audio and video tracks? I know you could on the old Movie Maker. I want to drop in another video over the master video without interrupting the master video's audio track, and then fade back into the master video so to illustrate a point being made by the narrator. Thanks.
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Re: Audio and video track separation?
Posted: 26 Jul 2013 08:53 PM
If you are using the latest Movie Maker 2012 version, the answer is yes. In this version, there are two new features that make it possible:
1) There are now *two* audio tracks (music + narration/sound)
2) When adding music or narration/sound, you can now choose a *video* file and you'll get its audio added.

So assuming you have Movie Maker 2012, go to the Home tab. Next to the Record narration button is a little drop-down arrow. Click on that and choose Add sound. Initially it will only show you pure audio files, but if you change the File type, you can pick a video file instead. It will then add just the audio from that file.

Once you have a copy of the audio on the narration/sound track, be sure to mute the original audio so you don't hear it twice.

If you are using the prior version of Windows Live Movie Maker 2011 and can't upgrade to Movie Maker 2012 for some reason, the answer is still yes, but it involves a few extra steps. First you need to use a separate program to extract just the audio. I use Freemake Video Converter for tasks like this. I give it the original video file and tell it to convert to .mp3. The result is a "music" file with just the audio from the video. Now on the Home tab, choose to add "music" and pick this audio file. Obviously you can't have both music and this added audio in the 2011 version.

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos
ramkuma is not online. Last active: 8/14/2013 9:01:08 AM ramkuma
Total Posts: 43

Re: Audio and video track separation?
Posted: 31 Jul 2013 08:10 AM
Thanks. I would never have been able to figure that out intuitively.
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Windows Live Movie Maker 2011  > Audio and video track separation?