[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Sharing Movies on the Internet  > What's wrong with my video?    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: What's wrong with my video?
cdeburca is not online. Last active: 7/2/2013 6:52:31 AM cdeburca
Total Posts: 6

What's wrong with my video?
Posted: 27 Jun 2013 03:06 PM
As it says on the tin really!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODkwvrMY2os

Brief bit of history -

Footage was shot in HD .MOV format. Converted to HD MPEG using WinX HD Video Converter for editing in Windows Movie Maker. Output file is .wmv and 23MB.

This file -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuuvKz-XHjM

- was from a previous camera in .mod format. Edited the exact same way; output file is .wmv and 15MB. So you'd expect the top file to be markedly better quality, but instead, from where I'm sitting, it's markedly worse. The quality is better on the output .wmv file, but something goes wrong when it's uploaded to YouTube.

Any ideas what's happening there at all?

Thanks!
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Re: What's wrong with my video?
Posted: 27 Jun 2013 07:08 PM
To my eyes, both clips look blurry, less than I would expect from HD cameras. In fact, looking at the YouTube settings, the resolution is only 480p, not 720p or 1080p.

The first clip is at least filling the screen, but looks a little more washed out. But that may be an artifact of daytime filming resulting in less contrast. The second clip looks like a 4:3 clip with black bars on top and bottom, then put within another 16:9 rectangle. As a result you get black bars all around. This essentially makes for a smaller rectangle, but that can perceptually make it seem like a more detailed picture. Adding the fact that it is a night game, the added contrast gives the perception of being a better picture.

First, what is the source of the videos? Does the camcorder actually support HD resolutions of 720p or 1080p? Does the converter you are using do a good job of keeping the same resolution and bitrate on the conversion? If not, try the same conversion with Freemake Video Converter. Does that .wmv file look pretty good?

Assuming the source file is good, what are your output settings? Have you chosen an HD format? Have you tried saving to your PC and viewing that output first? Is it in HD resolution?

When uploading to YouTube, are you doing it directly from Movie Maker, or are you doing it manually? I suggest trying the latter and seeing if you can get YouTube to be showing a 720p clip, at least.

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos

Posted: 28 Jun 2013 09:14 AM
Hi considerate guy,

Lots of questions! Hope I don't miss anything here, and thanks for your reply. Yeah, the sun in particular doesn't help with the HD clip, but the file is still not as good quality as I'd expect and, importantly (I think!) not as a good quality as any of the output files up to upload stage.

The top video is HD (HD 1280 x 720 are the settings on my Canon SX30 IS). The second video isn't from a HD camera; not sure what the exact settings are. For 45 minutes of football, the HD camera gives a 9GB output file (there or thereabouts) compared to 3GB for the non-HD camera. The immediate output file is noticeably sharper.

The converter does a good job, yep. Again, its output file is still noticeably sharper than the old format, and very comparable to what went into the converter. I'll try the one you recommend anyway; can't hurt I'm sure.

I've tried a number of output settings; what I've uploaded is the best result. It's "Publish movie" --> "Best format for your computer" and then max the output size. There are a number of other options from the drop menu - one is HD, one is widescreen; I can check these when I get home - but when uploaded to YouTube, they give even worse quality and sometimes compress the image into a square.

When uploading to YouTube, I publish the file to the hard drive and upload that; I don't upload directly from Movie Maker.

The Windows Movie Maker output file is grand; as I noted, it's 50% bigger than a corresponding file from the previous camera and it's better quality. So everything seems to be ok...and then I upload it to YouTube as before, and the quality dips.

Can I adjust the YouTube settings before clicking to upload? Never noticed that before.

Thanks again!
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 28 Jun 2013 11:20 AM
When you are saving to your PC, what settings are you seeing in terms of resolution (horizontal / vertical dimensions)? I think if you hover over the choices it shows the actual resolution it will save with. Is that a 720p format?

Also, which version of Movie Maker are you using? Is it the latest Movie Maker 2012 or earlier? And which version of Windows are you on?

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 29 Jun 2013 06:47 AM
Thanks again.

On Windows Vista. Movie Maker version 6.0.6002.

I publish the movie rather than save it; I assume this is correct? Display size of the video above is 768x576 pixels. I have an option of publishing to a HD 720p format, so I tried that, and this resulted -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avy20eQrDaw

It's showing up as HD now on YouTube, but the quality is still poor (worse?) and it's even missing some of the video.
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 30 Jun 2013 12:54 AM
I wasn't able to see the video since it is marked private. Yes, publishing is what it is called in WMM 6.0.

In any case, 768 x 576 is a 4:3 ratio. You can up the final output to 720p, but that really doesn't add resolution. Are you creating a 4:3 project? (Tools > Options > Advanced > Aspect Ratio). Are your settings for PAL video (which I think is what you have)?

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 30 Jun 2013 07:23 AM
Sorry, I meant to put it as unlisted. I've fixed that now.

Checked the aspect ratio, and yeah, it was 4:3; wasn't aware of that. I've changed that to 16:9, and left it al PAL, and have this -

http://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=T-yVF781Zok&ns=1

Again with the first few seconds of the video missing, and you can see the first clip then stops while the audio catches up. Similar problem with the second clip (you can see the caption changes a couple of seconds before the goal goes in, when it was in synch)

That was on the setting "Best format for your computer" I also published it as Windows Media HD 720p (PAL), and again, the first part of the video is missing -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31Uvwx4pHhI

Just from checking on another forum, I've added in yt:quality=high as a tag, which at least enables me to select 720p as the video quality. I was previously only able to go as high as 480p. Dunno how much that'll change. Can't see how it'll hurt though.

I think we're nearly there though. If I can just find why it's cutting the start of the video, I think I'll be happy with that to be honest!

Thanks again for all your help!
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 30 Jun 2013 10:08 AM
I would question the conversion. What you might try is using Freemake Video Converter instead; I've had good success in creating .wmv files that work as expected in Movie Maker.

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 30 Jun 2013 05:25 PM
Done so. Grr on the malware (bloody Delta search), but it's gone now. And what I have is this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H_wGw1nTJM

Up the view on YouTube to 720p, and I think it's better quality alright. How does it look on your side? (I might be just wishing for it to be better!)
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 01 Jul 2013 09:42 AM
Sorry, I forgot to mention that Freemake Video Converter is freeware and offers to install optional "add-ons". I always uncheck all of those and only install the program.

Looking at the latest clip, it looks pretty clear. It even seems to look better at 480p now.

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 01 Jul 2013 09:48 AM
Nah, no worries. I went through a rake of them trying to find a decent converter, and fairly quickly found out how to get rid of Delta Search!

Thanks again. Will stop annoying you now. :)
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Sharing Movies on the Internet  > What's wrong with my video?