[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Capturing and Importing Media  > problems importing and capturing files    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: problems importing and capturing files
kirschnik is not online. Last active: 1/26/2017 3:39:46 PM kirschnik
Total Posts: 18

problems importing and capturing files
Posted: 03 Nov 2012 05:13 PM
I finally converted all of my old Hi8 video tapes to wmv files.
BUT I am unable to save/capture/import from the hard drive into windows movie maker...
I can see and watch the video with the hard drive plugged in - but the file is unsaved and cannot be captured. Window Move Maker does not seem to recognize the hard drive. Or the file format. I am confused and not sure what to do...
Thanks for your help.
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Re: problems importing and capturing files
Posted: 03 Nov 2012 10:12 PM
What software did you use to create the .wmv files? Are you sure they are encoded with the WMV9 codec?

My theory is that they aren't .wmv files but are in another format that isn't 100% compatible with Movie Maker. As a test, try one of the Sample Videos (.wmv format) and see if that imports into Movie Maker. Do a similar test with a photo from the external hard drive. If those tests work, then try converting one clip to .wmv using Freemake Video Converter.

One additional note, Movie Maker doesn't make a copy of the original clip while in the project. So if you are importing the clip and expecting it to stay after removing the external hard drive, it will not. The project just *references* the file wherever it is on your computer. Disconnect the drive and Movie Maker won't see it anymore. So while editing and until you save your final movie (which makes a new .wmv file) you must keep your source files available.

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos

Posted: 04 Nov 2012 10:10 AM
This is REALLY helpful.
especially the part about keeping the source plugged in while editing.
But also confusing...when I used to import from my video camera this did not happen. Once I captured a piece of video - it was just there...
Can I recreate this now using the files from the hard drive...?
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 04 Nov 2012 11:22 AM
When you capture from your video camera, it is encoding the video and storing a copy of the video on your hard disk. When you choose to add a video from your external hard drive, it isn't doing this re-encoding or copying. It is just using the video directly. What you could do is take a copy from the external drive and copy it to your internal hard drive manually so that it would be there even when the external drive is removed.

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 04 Nov 2012 12:29 PM
Thanks - you really are considerate...
I just tried that. And it worked...! But now I am finding that I have a new problem...
In the past I was able to capture manually so that I did not need to save the entire video in collections. Now it seems that I have the entire thing stored - how do I create just clips from all of the footage?
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 05 Nov 2012 09:39 AM
If you have one large clip in your collection and you want to break it down into smaller clips, right-click on it and choose 'Create Clips'. Movie Maker will try to auto-detect scene breaks to make that large clip into several smaller clips.

This is all just a logical splitting of the clip. The clip is still one big file on the hard disk, but at least it makes it easier to get to the parts of your clips. Obviously you can also manually split clips in your collection using the 'Split' function (press 'M' on the keyboard).

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 05 Nov 2012 02:14 PM
Thanks again for your support and helpful suggestions.
I just right clicked to create clips - but where are those clips now...?
I have not made a film on windows movie maker for about three years - and I just don't remember things being this difficult...
My next thing to try is to somehow be able to get my camera to work so that I can go back to working on the film in the way that I remember and know...

thanks again!
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 05 Nov 2012 03:18 PM
If WMM is able to create separate clips, you should see them in your collection. Look under 'View' > 'Collection' and make sure you are in the appropriate folder in your collection.

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 05 Nov 2012 03:38 PM
Blaine,
as you said "IF WMM is able to make clips", I understand that sometimes the program is not able to do so. And in my case it seems that it does not work...
I will be back in touch as soon as I get to my next impasse...
thanks again,
Cara
chris198810 is not online. Last active: 4/9/2018 4:49:44 AM chris198810
Total Posts: 65

Posted: 03 Apr 2018 04:19 AM
Try Brorsoft video converter as it can convert any file type to Windows Movie Maker friendly WMV format keeping original quality.
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Capturing and Importing Media  > problems importing and capturing files