[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Publishing and Saving Movies  > Can't save to my computer    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Can't save to my computer
ramkuma is not online. Last active: 8/14/2013 9:01:08 AM ramkuma
Total Posts: 43

Can't save to my computer
Posted: 07 Sep 2012 11:13 AM
My video is 41 minutes and I can't save it. It either freezes up during the saving movie process or gives me the "blah" line about why I can't save. I have tried everything recommended here on this site and nothing works. The only thing I can think of is that there is a limit to how long your video can be??

Re: Can't save to my computer
Posted: 07 Sep 2012 11:16 AM
"4. Don't make a very long complicated project. It is best to create a long project in several sections (seperate projects) and then after saving as movie files....reimport those into one project...and then save again."

Could someone give me a step by step, very dumbed down, with no missing steps, directions on how to try this? Thanks.
splante is not online. Last active: 12/24/2015 5:59:53 AM splante
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 809

Posted: 07 Sep 2012 01:22 PM
What you would do is:
1) Create a backup of your project file. Call it something like project_part1
2) Delete files from the end of your project (approx. 1/3 to 1/2 of project)
3) Save project file
4) Try to save movie file
5) If movie will not save, go back to 2
6) If movie will save, open a new copy of your original project (project_part2)
7) Delete the clips from part2 that you left in part1
8) Save the project file
9) Try to save a movie file
10) If part2 will not save, repeat steps 2 through 6 until part 2 saves
11) Repeat this process until all of the original clips are saved.
12) Open a new (blank) project
13) Import the saved movies from each of the parts into the new project
14) Save the new project

That procedure will work if your problem is complexity. Complexity is a function of how many clips, types of source files, and transitions and effects used. Time is not really a factor, except that longer projects tend to have increasing amounts of clips and effects and transitions. This procedure works because you replace many clips and associated effects and transitions with 1 longer clip.

It is also possible that you have incompatible source files. Converting your source files to WMV with a good converter, such as the freeware Freemake Video Converter, will sometimes help with problems like these. WMA files work best for any added audio.
splante is not online. Last active: 12/24/2015 5:59:53 AM splante
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 809

Posted: 07 Sep 2012 01:32 PM
There is no real limit how long (time) a movie can be. The number of clips, effects, transitions, etc is much more important to being able to save than how much time the movie runs. You can have a 60 minute file that will save if it has only a few long clips, but a 2 minute movie that won't save if you have lots of very short clips with lots of effects and transitions.

The key to getting a complex movie to save is breaking it into small enough pieces to save. Once you have done that, you have a few larger pieces that are much easier for Movie Maker to handle.

One other technique that can help with complex projects: reboot. Sometimes if your project is close to your system's complexity limit, rebooting can help free up resources that will allow your project to save.

Posted: 07 Sep 2012 02:08 PM
Thanks. This is a great link I came across about how to split up your movie and save in parts: http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Tutorials/MovieMaker/SplitComplexProject.htm

I am currenlty undergoing the save of Part 1. Will let you know if this works.

PS: file source, space, and file type are not the problems. My files are .wma and .wmv

Posted: 05 Oct 2012 10:29 AM
Saving the complicated project in parts and then reimporing it worked. Although I seem to have lost quite a bit of quality during the process.
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Posted: 05 Oct 2012 11:37 AM
Be sure to save each part of the movie in the highest quality possible. Try a higher bitrate/dimension setting if you are losing too much quality in the multiple generations of saving.

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Publishing and Saving Movies  > Can't save to my computer