[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Sharing Movies on the Internet  > video is stretched too wide    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: video is stretched too wide
zmzmzm is not online. Last active: 11/9/2015 7:15:43 PM zmzmzm
Total Posts: 96

video is stretched too wide
Posted: 21 Mar 2012 06:04 PM
When I save video as a movie in WMM - I get a WMV file that plays in proper proportion in Windows Media Player. The clips that make up the video were recorded in 3:4 in CamStudio. - and they play back correctly in 3:4 ratio in Windows Media Player.

BUT - when I import the video into Website Tonight (GoDaddy's) website builder - the image displays about 10% too wide (vs. height). GoDaddy Tech suggested I save in another format.
So I converted the .wmv to .avi and also to .MP4. When I play these on my desktop in Windows Media Player they stretch about 10% too wide also --- so it doesn't seem to be a Website Tonight issue.

What is causing the video to stretch horizontally - and what (if anything can I do to correct it?)
Thanks.

Thanks to all for your help.
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Re: video is stretched too wide
Posted: 21 Mar 2012 07:22 PM
I'm guessing the output you've chosen is 720x480. When Movie Maker saves in this format, you are using non-square pixels, just like a DVD does. There's a flag in the file that most programs should understand that tells the playback program (e.g. Windows Media Player) to display that in the correct aspect ratio of 4:3.

If a player, converter or website just blindly assumes that the pixels are exactly square, you'll end up with a video that is too wide. Notice how 720 = 3 x 240 and 480 = 2 x 240. So if a program misinterprets the pixels, you'll end up with something that is a 3:2 ratio instead.

The problem really is the other programs that aren't correctly interpretting anamorphic 720 x 480 video and are showing at the raw (square pixel) aspect ratio.

What you might try instead, is to create a custom profile that is 640 x 480 (the equivalent 4:3 aspect ratio with square pixels) and use that for saving your movie. Alternatively, when converting, see if there is a 640 x 480 option when changing file types.

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos

Posted: 21 Mar 2012 10:11 PM
Yes. You are correct. I saved at 720x480.
MM has several choices for saving at 640x480. I don't know which of these choices is best - so I am arbitrarily choosing "High quality video (large)."

I'll let you know how it plays in Website Tonight's player.

Thanks.
Make that: Thank you very much.

Posted: 22 Mar 2012 02:20 PM
Plays perfectly in Website Tonight.

Your diagnosis and solution were right on the money.

Many thanks.

Selwyn

Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Sharing Movies on the Internet  > video is stretched too wide