[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Publishing and Saving Movies  > Poor Quality after DVD Burn    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Poor Quality after DVD Burn
lachatnoir23 is not online. Last active: 9/13/2011 4:43:07 PM lachatnoir23
Total Posts: 3

Poor Quality after DVD Burn
Posted: 13 Sep 2011 10:09 AM
I have searched the forum and see a lot of people with the same issue, but don't see how to fix it. My 19 minute photo slideshow with music works great out of Windows Live Movie Maker, the published file (at high res) plays just fine on the computer at full screen.

It's when I burn to DVD Video that I have trouble. Have tried both Windows DVD Maker and DVDStyler, and the photos in both are low res, displaying fine in a small window on the computer, but when I display at full screen, the photos are pixelated and jagged. I haven't even tried in my big screen TV yet, cause I know it'll be even worse. The native photo files are high res, and as I've said, look great in full screen playing .wmv file through media player.

Please help! What am I doing wrong? Sound is great, flow is great, menu buttons are great, but my photos look like crap.
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Re: Poor Quality after DVD Burn
Posted: 13 Sep 2011 12:16 PM
You aren't doing anything wrong. The only problem is the DVD standard is 720 x 480 resolution MPEG-2 video. If you do the math you see you have 345,600 pixels (Remember a megapixel is 1,000,000 pixels and cameras usually take multi-megapixel photos. The DVD standard is only about 1/3 of a megapixel. People may not realize how bad that is but that's what we used to watch on standard definition/analog TVs). As you can imagine, if you blow that up to full screen on a high-resolution monitor or on a big screen TV it is, by the very nature of the reduced resolution, going to show all the pixelation artifacts.

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos

Posted: 13 Sep 2011 12:28 PM
So ... it's impossible to create a DVD of photos that won't be jagged edges and pixelated when played at full screen? I guess I thought I'd seen videos at weddings where the photos weren't so destroyed.
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 13 Sep 2011 02:49 PM
If you are playing from a laptop to a projector you can get nice resolution. In that case I would play the .wmv file directly to get the best resolution.

If you need to put it on a disc, if the receiving party can play a high resolution file, then you can burn a data DVD, but that won't necessarily play in a DVD player.

Some DVD players can take a disc of photos and play that at higher resolution, but again you are not using DVD video.

Finally if you are using a DVD video disc, try to increase the bitrate as high as possible, extend the time of transitions (or remove them) to avoid that pixelation. Perhaps use some pan & zoom so you give the perception of seeing more of the picture.

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 13 Sep 2011 04:43 PM
I appreciate the response. Using DVD Flick I got better results than DVDStyler (unusable!) and Windows DVD Maker (pixelated). I need these to play in a DVD player. I'm burning some for U.S. and some as PAL for U.K. I did away with the nice menu I had built in Windows DVD Maker when using DVD Flick because its menu options were much cruder. So now it just automatically starts playing when you pop it in, but oh well.

I'll also upload the wmv somewhere, but I wanted to be able to burn a DVD keepsake to send out to certain folks.
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 13 Sep 2011 05:01 PM
The DVD PAL standard is 720 x 576, so you get a little more resolution for those discs. Sounds like DVD Flick might be increasing the bitrate slightly to get better resolution. You should check if it has any other options that you can increase it further.

Blaine
YouTube videos
lainhartrd is not online. Last active: 2/15/2018 3:25:43 PM lainhartrd
Total Posts: 13

Posted: 23 Nov 2011 05:42 PM
Hi, Blaine and lachatnoir23:
Are you referring here to the “rippling effect” (interlacing? combing?) especially evident whenever the camcorder and/or subject(s) move? If so, I’m on the right thread!
As per lachatnoir23’s posts, my videos (high-definition) are wonderful when viewed on the computer monitor, but that rippling effect makes DVD viewing very distracting (as you well know/understand). Do I understand you correctly, Blaine, that (IF I’m responding to the same problem) that “nothing can be done?! FWIW, I have the same problem whether I record in interlace-60 or progressive-30. Using WMM 6.0, I save to “WMV - Best for Computer”. And I use Windows DVD Maker set at the slowest speed. Regardless, do you have any suggestions for a DVD burner that might handle this problem better than W-DVD-M? Much appreciate any further insights that either of you have! Richard P.S. Blaine: Much appreciate you previously directing me to your download for WMM 6.0!!
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 23 Nov 2011 05:50 PM
I guess I'm not 100% sure what is the issue that is being reported. I was assuming it was a problem of downsampling HD video to the DVD standard (which is only 480p for NTSC).

But what you describe sounds like a problem with a switch from progressive to interlaced footage (or the reverse).

Is there a way someone could post a clip that has the problem?

Blaine
YouTube videos
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Publishing and Saving Movies  > Poor Quality after DVD Burn