[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Media  > Windows Media Player and Zune  > Windows Media Player picture quality    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Windows Media Player picture quality
barneybear is not online. Last active: 7/19/2011 8:10:46 AM barneybear
Total Posts: 8

Windows Media Player picture quality
Posted: 18 Jul 2011 07:17 AM
I've got 2 computers. One is old, the other I've only had for a few months. The old one uses XP, the new one uses windows 7. I've finished my movie, and I've put it on DVD. Here's what happens when I play my movie in various ways :

On my new computer, from the hard drive, on WMP : Grainy picture, and when I want to scroll through a clip, it often pauses, while the audio catches up with the picture, or vice versa.

On the old computer, from the hard drive, on WMP (I'm sure it's an older version of WMP) : Better picture quality, and no glitches when I want to scroll through a clip.

On the new computer, on DVD : Same as on hard drive.

(I don't have the option to play it on DVD on the old computer).

Why is it that an old computer that is on its last legs can play the movie on an older version of WMP with better picture quality and no glitches when scrolling, and when I play it on the new computer, whether on the hard drive or on DVD, it's not as good, and I get glitches when scrolling?

And what can I do to fix this?
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Re: Windows Media Player picture quality
Posted: 18 Jul 2011 08:32 AM
What is the format of the file? Do you have the correct codec for playing it?

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos

Posted: 18 Jul 2011 10:38 AM
In my movie there are 43 videos. They're all wmv. As for codecs I have no idea and I don't even know what a codec is.

I can't go back and change anything, so really all I need to know is if there's anything I can do to improve the picture quality. My old computer plays the movie, I'm guessing, in it's proper picture quality, and I wonder how to get my new computer to do the same.
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Posted: 18 Jul 2011 10:50 AM
There is really no reason there should be a difference. I suppose there could be a *perceived* difference if on one computer you were looking at a smaller window versus full screen. At full screen you are going to see all the individual pixels and that makes it look less clear.

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos

Posted: 18 Jul 2011 06:38 PM
It's nothing to do with that because I've played it on full screen on both and there is definitely a noticeable difference. On WMP are there any options for adjusting picture quality or anything like that?

Posted: 18 Jul 2011 08:19 PM
Or better still, is there any reasonable quality free software I can download that will play my DVD?
UhSir is not online. Last active: 11/7/2018 9:18:36 PM UhSir
Total Posts: 83

Posted: 27 Jul 2011 12:57 AM
barneybear, I feel your pain. I have a lot of wmv videos that I made on my old XP desktop that looked fine but when I play them on my shiny new Win7 laptop they are grainy. Maybe what you are seeing is a quality issue.

Check the bit rate of the videos. I use MediaInfo. Once installed, there's a setting for when you right-click a supported file format then it will show up on the context menu.

As for another player, I like GOM Player. It plays almost everything.

|
| Hardware: ASUS G73SW-A1, i7-2630QM CPU, 8 GB RAM,
| NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M (4095 MB, DirectX 11, Shader Model 5),
| Dual 500 GB internal hard drives.
| Software: Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows Movie Maker 6, Expression Encoder, Freemake
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Media  > Windows Media Player and Zune  > Windows Media Player picture quality