[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Publishing and Saving Movies  > Windows 7    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Windows 7
Taffygirl is not online. Last active: 8/9/2017 2:28:55 PM Taffygirl
Total Posts: 65

Windows 7
Posted: 11 Jul 2011 07:45 PM
I intend to purchase a new laptop computer in the next month or so and I understand that most, if not all, new computers come with Windows 7. Can anyone tell me how Movie Maker works on Windows 7; is it easier, better, or what? Thank you for whatever information you can provide.
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Re: Windows 7
Posted: 11 Jul 2011 07:59 PM
Read this:
Movie Maker and Windows 7

Under Windows 7, Movie Maker is gone. In its place you can download the Windows Live Essentials which includes Windows "Live" Movie Maker (WLMM). It is a completely rewritten version of Movie Maker.

Pros:
1) Purportedly simpler for short projects, especially those with lots of photos, instead of video.
2) Support for additional video file types.
3) Direct integration with YouTube and other upload sites.
4) New "Themes" similar to the old "Auto Movie" feature.
5) Ability to pick the location of titles on a clip.

Cons:
1) Reduced features and missing features from original Windows Movie Maker (WMM) such as no timeline view, no added narration, no view of music waveform.
2) Fewer transitions and effects.
3) No published way to add custom transitions, effects or titles.
4) Reported issue with project corruption where a project will stop loading after saving.

As noted in that blog post above, the good news is you can have both the old and the new on your Windows 7 system. So if you need something that was in the original Movie Maker, you can use WMM 6.0. Or if you want a short, simple project done quickly you can use the new WLMM.

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos

Posted: 12 Jul 2011 04:22 PM
Wow! Thanks. I had no idea that the orginal WMM wouldn't be included in Windows 7. I had assumed that it would be there as a new and improved version.

Most of my projects are around 1-2 hours long and include mostly photos with occasionally some short videos. My projects are mainly "movies" that I make of photos taken on vacation (and I take thousands, though don't use all of them).

I do like the timeline and always add music. How is music added to the new version in Windows 7?

Once I purchase my new laptop with Windows 7, how do I add WMM 6.0 to it? I'm not real computer savvy with adding stuff. Do I download it from somewhere?

Thanks for your help.

Posted: 12 Jul 2011 04:26 PM
Opps! I just read your blog on how to access and download WMM 6.0. I cannot get it from Vistas as I do not have that on my current laptop. However, once I purchase my new laptop I think I follow your directions from the links you provided. Thanks.
splante is not online. Last active: 12/24/2015 5:59:53 AM splante
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 809

Posted: 12 Jul 2011 04:32 PM
From your post, it sounds like you have an XP laptop. If that is the case, you can still access a classic version of Movie Maker, WMM 2.1. If you have XP, you should have Movie Maker 2.1. It should be located in c:\Program Files\Movie Maker\

When you get a Windows 7 laptop, Movie Maker 6.0 would read in the 2.1 projects. 2.1 doesn't have quite as many features as 6.0, but does work in XP. It is what I use on my XP desktop.
splante is not online. Last active: 12/24/2015 5:59:53 AM splante
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 809

Posted: 12 Jul 2011 04:41 PM
Nevermind what I said above. Looking at your posts, it looks like you are using Movie Maker currently. I thought you were trying to find it to use it now.

You can always copy Movie Maker over from your current computer as well. It wouldn't have all the features of WMM 6 though.
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Posted: 12 Jul 2011 04:57 PM
When you get your Windows 7 laptop, you can download WMM 2.6 (from Microsoft), or WMM 6.0 (from my blog), or WLMM (from Microsoft). Or you can even keep all 3.

If you have a library of custom transitions/titles/effects that you've used in WMM 2.1 (XP), then you might want to work with WMM 2.6. It can read 2.1 projects and will also use the same transitions and effects. You would need to copy them from your AddOnTFX folder on the XP machine.

If you like WMM 2.1 but want to see the next version (which has a better preview window, faster rendering of effects/transitions using the GPU, cool additional add-ons view post 126998) then look at WMM 6.0.

And if you want to see if you like WLMM or not, play with that too. I have WMM 6.0 and WLMM on my Windows 7 machine and I find I'll sometimes use WLMM if I want something quick.

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos

Posted: 13 Jul 2011 04:03 PM
Thanks again. I will come back to these posts once I've purchased my new laptop (which may not be for several weeks).

I appreciate all the help and guidance.
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Publishing and Saving Movies  > Windows 7