[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Windows Vista  > Re: Cannot raise volume level in Vista MM    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Cannot raise volume level in Vista MM
beans is not online. Last active: 6/12/2011 4:06:44 PM beans
Total Posts: 3

Cannot raise volume level in Vista MM
Posted: 11 Jun 2008 11:07 PM
When I used MM on my old computer with XP, I could move the volume slider to the right to increase the volume. With my Vista version of MM, the volume slider's default setting is all the way to the right, so I can't increase the volume. Any fixes for this problem?
txl999 is not online. Last active: 6/12/2008 10:11:20 PM txl999
Total Posts: 2

Re: Cannot raise volume level in Vista MM
Posted: 12 Jun 2008 09:49 PM
i had this same problem and the solution is... Download the windows movie maker update 2.6 straight from microsoft!

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=d6ba5972-328e-4df7-8f9d-068fc0f80cfc&displaylang=en
txl999 is not online. Last active: 6/12/2008 10:11:20 PM txl999
Total Posts: 2

Posted: 12 Jun 2008 09:59 PM
ah sorry about that, i think this just changes the version back to the xp version :/
PapaJohn is not online. Last active: 2/23/2015 2:43:58 PM PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 13291

Posted: 12 Jun 2008 10:19 PM
no, there are no 'fixes' for it

... my website isn't here... it's at www.papajohn.org
MrsLadyWoman is not online. Last active: 9/23/2008 12:37:18 PM MrsLadyWoman
Total Posts: 5

Posted: 25 Jun 2008 08:16 AM
Hi there. That's really interesting, if very bad news for me:(

Surely there has to be a fix for this. This is going to make it imposible for me to render movies using Vista WMM, as I will often want/need to increase the sound level. Can anybody solve this one for me. I really really need an answer if at possible. Sorry to sound so dramaticSmileyHelp!!

If there really really REALLY are no fixes, what if I install the old Windows Movie Maker onto my Vista laptop, how can ensure I run the XP WMM alongside the new vista WMM, rather than overwriting it. I definitely don't want to overwrite it, as the new vistas version does have some features I like. But I need to run the two side by saide, so that I can use the old version to up the volume when necessary (means rendering movies twice what a pain, but will have to if no other option) if there or no fixes for the Vista WMM.

Hope that makes sense. Any help you can offer would be very welcome.

Thanks so much

MrsLW

Posted: 25 Jun 2008 08:21 AM
Hi there. That's really interesting, if very bad news for me:(

Surely there has to be a fix for this. This is going to make it imposible for me to render movies using Vista WMM, as I will often want/need to increase the sound level. Can anybody solve this one for me. I really really need an answer if at possible. Sorry to sound so dramaticSmileyHelp!!

If there really really REALLY are no fixes, what if I install the old Windows Movie Maker onto my Vista laptop, how can ensure I run the XP WMM alongside the new vista WMM, rather than overwriting it. I definitely don't want to overwrite it, as the new vistas version does have some features I like. But I need to run the two side by saide, so that I can use the old version to up the volume when necessary (means rendering movies twice what a pain, but will have to if no other option) if there or no fixes for the Vista WMM.

Hope that makes sense. Any help you can offer would be very welcome.

Thanks so much

MrsLW

www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 25 Jun 2008 11:25 AM
One work-around is to install MM2.6 on your Vista system. It works like MM2.1 when it comes to adjusting volume.

You can't have both MM6 and MM2.6 open at the same time, but you can open a project file in either to work on... but when edited in MM6 it might not open again in MM2.6... and be careful not to wipe out the collection database when you open MM2.6, as it uses the same one as MM6 but wipes it clean when opening while MM6 will use the collections build in MM2.6.

retexan599 is not online. Last active: 2/22/2015 12:05:45 PM retexan599
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 470

Posted: 25 Jun 2008 10:42 PM
Another work-around is to pre-amplify your audio. I have had to do this on a couple of occasions. In one case I used a program called Audacity to amplify a clip for the Audio/Music track. Audacity requires that your audio be in the .wav format, and that may require a conversion; in a situation where I had a .wma file, I first converted it to .wav using a program called Super, then input that to Audacity, then imported the resulting (amplified) .wav to WMM -- quite cumbesome, but it did work.

In another case where I was converting my source video/audio file to a compatible .avi for WMM, I used a program called VirtualDub, which has the capability of amplifying the audio portion of your video. This is also cumbersome, but if you were happening to use VirtualDub anyway, you can piggy back your audio amplification on top of the conversion. In fact, I now have my VirtualDub processing settings to add 5.8 dB of audio volume whenever I am converting video for Vista WMM.

Sigh....as the old cowboys would say in Texas: "there's a few hitches in the git-a-long to this business...."

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
Vista Home Premium; WMM 6.0
HP Pavilion d4890y; 2 GB Ram; E6420 Core2 Duo

Posted: 26 Jun 2008 07:39 AM
Thanks both for your quick help on this. I will definitey try what you have sugested and see what works. But don't you think its incredible that a feature like simply increasing volume was left out of the new WMM?? It's like, why would they do that????

But thanks so much.

MrsLW
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 26 Jun 2008 12:55 PM
I can only guess about the why. If it was for a good reason, maybe because you can easily get into trouble with audio by raising the volume too much... users tend to do lots of things that result in issues. My personal opinion is users cause most user related issues.

If it was an oversight, I slot it in the group of features that dropped out to streamline MM6 as much as possible.... like the dropped picture snapshot icon under the monitor... and the lack of the project name to remind you what's open.... etc.

Posted: 27 Jun 2008 08:03 AM
Yes I can certainly understand probs associated with raising, say, the volume of music too high, and distorting it. But a for instance where raiising the volumn when making a home movie would be if a person isn't talking particularly near the mic. It is so very useful to increase volumn so viewers don't have to strain to catch what is being said. Also, MP3s will often vary greatly in volumn, so need to be boosted a bit when they are imported. I've had to do this lots, always careful of course not to make too loud.

I have noticed with the Vista MM, that it can't cope with much too, if you include too many graphics (transistion/ effects), it tends not to save properly. So disappointing. Hope they fix this.
Grapes is not online. Last active: 1/17/2009 10:58:13 AM Grapes
Total Posts: 13

Posted: 11 Aug 2008 04:42 PM
Another work around is to copy the "video audio" onto the "audio/music" tab then publish the movie. Then import the published movie back into wmm and you'll see that the volume has increased from the original. If you do this a couple of times it'll max out your volume in your video audio...then you can slide it down to where you want it.

Grapes.

Posted: 23 Sep 2008 12:37 PM
That is very helpful to know. Thanks! :)
Castaa is not online. Last active: 6/12/2011 1:06:41 PM Castaa
youtube.com
Total Posts: 34

Posted: 03 Feb 2009 12:33 PM
This is simply bizarre that the designers took about the ability to boost video volume. This makes the Vista version of Movie Maker unusable to me. So frustrating.
youtube.com

Posted: 23 Feb 2009 11:41 PM
I'm found a somewhat cumbersome workaround. If you edit your video and adjusting the volume with XP's version of MM. The volume adjustments will import correctly in Vista's version of Movie Maker.

Of course one still can't increase the volume in Vista's MM.

What is important about workaround is that one can edit one's HD video in XP's version and load the project in Vista to export a 720p or 1080p movie.
christianwill is not online. Last active: 4/19/2010 3:38:55 PM christianwill
Total Posts: 20

Posted: 13 May 2009 08:27 PM
(Not directed at you, Castaa--I'm just adding my own confusing two cents to the general thread).

I sometimes load individual WMM audio scenes into a sound editing program called WavePad (Google it). Audacity also works, and it's free.

You can manipulate the volume there, then reimport the track to WMM.

Bear in mind that turning up the gain (volume) has its limits. But there are many other things you can do in these (other) audo editing programs, such as mix multiple tracks, speed up dialogue and so on.

While working on a WMM project file--one that is not published yet--you can;t simply cut and paste the audio track. You have to "Publish" a version in order to be able to extract the audio and work with it in another program.

Personally, I think there is an easier solution for most people.

Just Turn up the sound on the playback device (TV set, computer speakers, etc.).

Therefore, in your WMM project, reduce the volume of all the clips somewhat. Now you can make some clips louder than others.

To adjust volume in WMM, select the clip you want and then go to the tab: Clip/Audio/Volume

That's where you'll notice what everybody is complaining about: the default volume is at maximum!

i

AMD 64x2 dual core 5000+/ 2.60 ghz/ Geforce 6150se nForce 430 (a low average video card)
glow is not online. Last active: 3/24/2018 8:25:13 PM glow
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1441

Posted: 12 Jun 2011 03:18 AM
I've just started using MM6 in Windows 7 after many years of using MM2.1 and I'm running into the same limitation - i.e cannot increase the volume. Was there never a fix for this?

I use Firefox+Greasemonkey scripts for easier editing of forum posts, FAQs and displaying embedded images Wink
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 12 Jun 2011 12:25 PM
Hi glow.... no and the same limitation is in the newest Windows Live Movie Maker.

youtube.com

Posted: 12 Jun 2011 01:06 PM
The true work around is to simply install WMM 2.6 on your Vista computer. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=d6ba5972-328e-4df7-8f9d-068fc0f80cfc

You can add your own custom HD export setting for WMM 2.6 (and 2.1 for that matter) for those making HD movies.

I posted how to do this in my blog:
http://castaa.blogspot.com/2009/05/getting-windows-movie-maker-to-export.html
retexan599 is not online. Last active: 2/22/2015 12:05:45 PM retexan599
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 470

Posted: 12 Jun 2011 03:37 PM
The work-around that I used is in a post from me above, for 6/25/2008. It involves using a program called Audacity to pre-amplify the audio. The procedure is clumsy but did work after some fiddling.
retexan599

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
Vista Home Premium; WMM 6.0
HP Pavilion d4890y; 2 GB Ram; E6420 Core2 Duo
beans is not online. Last active: 6/12/2011 4:06:44 PM beans
Total Posts: 3

Posted: 12 Jun 2011 04:06 PM
My "fix" was to buy Corel's video editor, Ulead, a couple of years ago. It is a huge program, came with two DVD's, and it always exits cleanly. Whereas with MM, I sometimes get a message that someone else is using the program. And of course, that isn't true.

I haven't updated to Windows 7. Was wondering whether I could figure out the MM program in Windows 7. Looked very strange on a friend's computer.
glow is not online. Last active: 3/24/2018 8:25:13 PM glow
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1441

Posted: 12 Jun 2011 07:59 PM
Thanks for the confirmation guys. Pity what looks like a bug never got fixed.
I've got 5 versions of MM on my PC. 1, 2.1, 2.6, 6, Live.
I like the fact that unlike MM2.x MM6 can directly take the MP4 files from my camera without conversion and I was looking forward to playing with the extra custom FX in MM6 but being unable to increase the volume within the program is almost a showstopper.

I use Firefox+Greasemonkey scripts for easier editing of forum posts, FAQs and displaying embedded images Wink
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Goto to page:  Prev Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Windows Vista  > Re: Cannot raise volume level in Vista MM