[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Getting Started with Windows Movie Maker  > The Video Plays or The Audio Plays... not both    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: The Video Plays or The Audio Plays... not both
abrogard is not online. Last active: 7/18/2016 11:59:52 PM abrogard
Total Posts: 13

The Video Plays or The Audio Plays... not both
Posted: 31 Oct 2010 04:13 AM

I posted a thread today about how to save a WMM clip.

since I posted it I've been trying different things.

I tried highlighting the clip and saving as a movie and it worked, kinda... but the result didn't have any sound.

then I tried deleting all the cut off bits that I didn't want to retain - retaining only the song and dance routine I wanted.

Then I save the project. then I made a movie of that clip.

It seemed to work. But gave me a movie with sound, no picture. Though sometimes I can see a line up the top of the screen that might be a squashed up movie playing.

I wonder - should there be a 'keyframe' concept applied here or something? I've just cut the movie at a totally arbitrary place, before the song/dance and after it. Is that a problem? Could that be what's wrong?

neophyte is not online. Last active: 3/9/2018 9:52:14 PM neophyte
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 20182

Re: The Video Plays or The Audio Plays... not both
Posted: 31 Oct 2010 10:01 PM
It appears you're trying to use Xvid encoded avi files in Movie Maker; most versions of Movie Maker don't like Xvid encoded files. If that's the case, try using SUPER (it's a free download) to re-encode your avi files in avi format using ffmpeg and MS-mpeg4-v2 as the Video Output Codec. See this page for download instructions (as erightsoft doesn't provide a direct download link for it). See my post in this thread for a set of instructions for using SUPER.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius

Posted: 01 Nov 2010 05:04 PM

Hi....

thanks for that. I did it. Got SUPER and used it. I didn't see how to make a choice for an avi file so I made a dvd file and got a .VOB - which contains mp2 I think, doesn't it?

But what do I use to edit the VOB ?

I got Vobedit and was mind boggled by the interface.... numbers, numbers everywhere and not a hint in sight......

neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 01 Nov 2010 09:57 PM
Make sure you downloaded SUPER by following the instructions in the link in my previous post (AFAIK .VOB isn't one of the options in SUPER).

In SUPER, make sure you select the top radio button just below and to the left of the words "1. "Select the Output Container". Once you've done that, you should be able to select avi in the drop down box below the words "1. Select the Output Container".

Posted: 02 Nov 2010 01:59 AM
Yes, thank you. I was in error. I failed to see the window that popped up with details of the source file.

I saw it this time.

Carefully followed everything you said. There was one worry - how about the audio bit rate? My source has a variable bit rate and there's no such option. I selected 128 which was listed as the 'nominal bit rate' in that popup window.

After gettting all that done I clicked 'encode' and the prog promptly disappeared without a trace, without even a goodbye.

Meantime googling around trying to do something with that VOB file I was directed to the MPEG Video Wizard so I took a punt on it.

So far so good - it seems to be working lovely. Very easy to use. Very responsive. No hassles. BUT: I haven't seen any output from it yet.

I will try again with SUPER.

thanks for your help. :)

Posted: 02 Nov 2010 02:00 AM

Hmm... I can't see an edit option. My post got all mixed up I don't know why. The last line should actually follow the line "Meanwhile googling around........."

Posted: 02 Nov 2010 06:03 PM
Well I tried again and it didn't work again: prog disappeared without notice.

I looked around and maybe the prob was I didn't have 20G free on the OS drive.

I was trying to work off my external 1T drive but maybe this is true.. you need 20G on the OS drive itself, on C: in my case?

Anyway while I was trying to find some room I came across this free download of the winx hd video converter and got it and tried it.

within a few short minutes it made an Xvid file out of my Vidx file and I'm hoping this will solve everything? XVid will have more available editors and such......

:)
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 02 Nov 2010 09:44 PM
Most versions of Movie Maker don't like Xvid encoded files. If you want to use Movie Maker, try converting your files to wmv or DV-AVI format instead.

FYI, I tried to edit your previous post as you indicated. If it's not what you wanted, just let me know what needs to be changed.

Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Getting Started with Windows Movie Maker  > The Video Plays or The Audio Plays... not both