[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Other Software  > Windows Photo Story  > PapaJohn suggested using templates in Photo Story 3    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: PapaJohn suggested using templates in Photo Story 3
MackyM is not online. Last active: 4/16/2010 3:12:25 PM MackyM
Total Posts: 6

PapaJohn suggested using templates in Photo Story 3
Posted: 07 Apr 2010 01:23 AM
In fact in one or two of his newsletters, he provides a couple of templates to try. He suggests a temp folder is established when a PS 3 project is opened and closed when the project is closed. I checked this out with his sample templates and it does work as he states. The problem I'm having is replacing the temp files when the files are in use. PapaJohn says the files can be used as templates and changed , but doesn't address how to do this when the files are in use.

Does anyone have the key to using templates as PapaJohn recommends?
PapaJohn is not online. Last active: 2/23/2015 2:43:58 PM PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 13291

Re: PapaJohn suggested using templates in Photo Story 3
Posted: 07 Apr 2010 03:49 AM
Hi Macky,

I guess you're having a permission issue which will vary with the system and user. When I developed my templates I was using XP and had no problem swapping out the temp files with others. As Vista and Windows 7 might have different security settings/controls I just downloaded my countdown clock template and tried it in Windows 7. I had no problem swapping out the jpg files but find the file lock on the open audio wma file blocking the swapping of it. I had to delete the audio file in PS3 and then add the new one to replace it.

... my website isn't here... it's at www.papajohn.org

Posted: 10 Apr 2010 03:55 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I guess I should have provided more info. I'm running Win 7 and I tried resetting my permissions to "full control' for all of my users. However, the results were the same. For both the CheckerBoard and the CountDown1 templates, I tried to delete and or replace the 0.jpg files for each. I get the message "action cannot be completed because the file is open in Photo Story 3 for Windows".

For Win 7, the temp files are placed in the C:\\Users\<user name>\AppData\local\temp\<project name>\ folders. I don't believe this makes a difference. Apparently, I have yet to figure out the the permission issue that allows this process to work.

Again, thanks for your help PapaJohn. I'm just getting started producing videos, but have read many of your newsletters which have been very informative.
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 10 Apr 2010 02:32 PM
I just tried again in Windows 7.... and had no problem swapping a .jpg file with a different one... here are my steps

- open the PS3 temp project folder using 'Computer' file manager... I picked image 99.jpg as my target to swap out. I can't delete it due to file locking by PS3.
- open the folder with the image I want to use as the replacement, using another copy of the 'Computer' file manager.... rename the selected file to align with the one I'm replacing, in this case 99.jpg.... copy it to the clipboard
- back in the temp folder, paste the image from the clipboard.... Win7 provides the 'Copy and replace' option, and it works fine.

I don't have any tweaks done to my computer permissions settings...

Posted: 16 Apr 2010 02:56 PM
I appreciate the further testing and detailed explanation of the process you used. I followed it and everything worked as you indicated.

I've had to step away from the video work for a few days to satisfy the tax man, so I was not able to respond sooner.

Again, thanks for the time you took to help. This was really frustrating because I should have been able to get it to work, but couldn't.

I did try to mess with the permissions, but without success. My immediate task will be to un-mess what I did.
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 16 Apr 2010 04:19 PM
I was with you doing tax prep work... thanks for the feedback.

judymc is not online. Last active: 6/6/2010 10:21:41 PM judymc
Total Posts: 1

Posted: 06 Jun 2010 05:25 PM
MackyM,
Did you figure it out? I am having the same problem. I found the Temp folder and replaced his jpg files with mine, but when I go back to the template, his pics are still there. What do I do to get mine to show up in the Photo Story template????
steveb-questions is not online. Last active: 4/30/2017 7:07:09 PM steveb-questions
Total Posts: 35

Posted: 11 May 2014 07:17 PM
You can 'unpack' the saved .wp3 Project file (using 7-zip) & replace the jpg's with "exactly the same sized" ones and repack using CABPACK.EXE
(see my 'hacking wp3' page http://questions4steveb.co.uk/PhotoStory_3/8_Hacking_the_PhotoStory_3_Project_file.php)
steveb-questions is not online. Last active: 4/30/2017 7:07:09 PM steveb-questions
Total Posts: 35

Posted: 30 Apr 2017 06:52 PM
New link :-
http://www.questions4steveb.co.uk/html/PhotoStory/Hacking-the-Project-file
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Other Software  > Windows Photo Story  > PapaJohn suggested using templates in Photo Story 3