[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Hardware, Cameras, Audio and more..  > Hardware Recommendations  > Compatibility.    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Re: Compatibility.
phlaaps is not online. Last active: 3/29/2010 9:38:36 AM phlaaps
Total Posts: 49

Re: Compatibility.
Posted: 15 Jan 2010 03:58 AM
I run on Vista Home Premium.

How about the Canon Vixia HF200. The Sony review wasn´t great.

neophyte is not online. Last active: 5/1/2012 9:53:46 PM neophyte
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 19914

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 08:59 PM
The Canon appears to generate AVCHD files which are not natively supported by your version of Vista. Additionally, the high def video produced by such camcorders place greater demands on system resources and you'd want to make sure you're system (e.g., CPU, memory, hard drive capacity, etc) is up to the task of editing these files (assuming you could get it to work).

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius

Posted: 16 Jan 2010 04:12 AM
Gggrrrhhh.

OK.The basic Flip camera, you say it runs on wmv files which my system and MM can handle....can you give me a link to exactly which one that is. I might just go cheap and cheerful.

Thanks for your patience with me. I hadn´t realised this would be so complicated.
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 16 Jan 2010 09:33 PM
Let's try to step back and take a broader look at this and see if we can put some of this in a little more perspective.

1. Movie Maker was designed originally to primarily work with DV-AVI and wmv files with support for MPEG2 files added beginning with the Premium and Ultimate versions of Vista. Thus, if you stick with a camera that can produce one of those file formats, you shouldn't have to convert your files. For those file types, I'd suggest you focus on

a. Mini-DV camcorders - produces DV-AVI files when you capture your video via a firewire connection or
b. Camcorders that use hard drives or DVDs to store the video - typically these store the video in MPEG2 format

2. Other file formats can be made to work in Movie Maker but may require that you install a codec in order to edit and publish those files. The risk that you wouldn't be able to get the files to work would probably be fairly low for many of the more common file formats. However, if you want to avoid that risk altogether, go with one of the camcorder types listed above.

3. The Premium version of Vista supports HDV hIgh definition video (typically captured via a firewire connection) but does not natively support the AVCHD high def format (I think this is probably the more common format used by high def camcorders). Also, resource demands for working with high def files in Movie Maker are much greaater than for standard def video files and you would need to make sure your system can handle those files. Thus, if you want to go with a high def model, that will affect your decision.

4. The Premium and Ultimate versions of Windows 7 natively support a broader range of file types (e.g., AVCHD) than the Vista versions. Thus, if you plan to upgrade to Windows 7 anytime soon, that could affect your decision.

5. The Flip (at least the models mentioned in PapaJohn's article) appears to record video in MPEG4 format (a format not natively supported by Movie Maker) but the provided software can convert it to wmv format. Thus, if you want to avoid any conversions of the original video, then this could affect your decision.

I'm not sure that helps you much; but, without knowing your requirements and their priority, it's difficult for me to be any more specific.

Finally, PapaJohn indicated that the Flip Video, Flip Ultra and Flip Mino models record video in 640x480 format and came with the software that would convert the files to wmv format.

Posted: 17 Jan 2010 09:37 AM
I´ve looked at the Canon Elura 100 and it seems ok to me. Although its an old camera...as are a lot of the ones I´ve seen on Cnet.

Would this operate on Premium and MM OK? Would I need to convert? And how messy is DV...do I need to play the cassett to transfer it to my laptop?

And again, thankyou for your time with me on this one, I´m sure your patience is running thin.

neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 17 Jan 2010 10:03 PM
That camcorder should work with your copy of Windows and Movie Maker as long as you use a firewire (IEEE 1394) connection to capture your video.

You'd also need to play the cassette in order to capture the video. If you'd like to avoid having to play a casette, then look at one of the models that store the video on a hard drive or DVD.

Posted: 21 Jan 2010 05:16 AM
How about the Kodak Zi6 HD Pocket Video Camcorder?
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 21 Jan 2010 08:59 PM
It also appears to record video in a format that Movie Maker doesn't natively support. Again, you may be able to get it to work by installing the required codecs; but, if you couldn't, you would need to convert your files.

Posted: 23 Jan 2010 04:06 AM
You know, I´m beginning to think that I need to look at this whole thing a different way.
Rather that looking for a camera that is compatible with MM, Im gonna find a camera that I like and then look at editing software....or do new cameras automatically come with editiing software?

It means me moving away from MM, something that I was trying to avoid as I enjoyed the package so much.

Neophyte I´d really like to thank you for you time and dedication to my thread. You are indeed a fine ambassador for this forum.

Tony

neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 23 Jan 2010 10:02 PM
Thanks for the kind words.

That sounds like a better approach, as it's been unclear to me what criteria you've been using to select the models you've asked about. One thing you might also want to do using that approach is identify your top three or so choices and then post back and request member feedback on them and any editing software that comes with them.

I would also suggest you be a little more open to the possibility of converting the files from your camcorder, if that's necessary to allow you to use Movie Maker. While it's preferable to avoid any conversions, I still think you could get acceptable quality using a converted video.

Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 2 of 2Goto to page: 1, [2] Prev

Movie Maker Forums  > Hardware, Cameras, Audio and more..  > Hardware Recommendations  > Compatibility.