[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Getting Started with Windows Movie Maker  > Re: Losing data in VOB Files? Please help.    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Losing data in VOB Files? Please help.
monte428 is not online. Last active: 12/26/2009 3:30:03 PM monte428
Total Posts: 1

Losing data in VOB Files? Please help.
Posted: 26 Dec 2009 12:18 PM
I'm quite new to this program, but I'm trying very hard to convert some files from a DV-camcorder into a full-blown DVD.

Honestly, I've had nothing but problems with the Samsung SC-DC164, but that's probably not relevant, unless the camera itself has done something to the files. I'm hoping that's not the case.

Here's an example of my problem: I have copied the contents of one disc to my hard-drive. When I simply double-click any of the VOB files on the disc, I can watch the entire video. All the clips together total about 6 minutes.

However, when I drag the VOB files into Movie Maker, the whole movie amounts to just under 3 minutes, and the rest is simply missing - seemingly random chunks of the videos. Any ideas where the "lost footage" may be when I'm going to MovieMaker?

Any and all help is very much appreciated.

Greg
neophyte is not online. Last active: 3/9/2018 9:52:14 PM neophyte
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 20182

Re: Losing data in VOB Files? Please help.
Posted: 26 Dec 2009 11:10 PM
Welcome to the forums.

Try "ripping" the video on your DVD to wmv format. If you need a "ripping" program, Format Factory is a free one you might want to try.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius
retexan599 is not online. Last active: 2/22/2015 12:05:45 PM retexan599
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 470

Re: Losing data in VOB Files? Please help.
Posted: 27 Dec 2009 11:21 AM
My experience with VOB files is that WMM will not handle them reliably. I always convert my .vob files to .wmv or .avi first. Usually I do the conversion with VirtualDub for MPEG2/WMV 9 Codec.

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
Vista Home Premium; WMM 6.0
HP Pavilion d4890y; 2 GB Ram; E6420 Core2 Duo
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Goto to page:  Prev Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Getting Started with Windows Movie Maker  > Re: Losing data in VOB Files? Please help.