[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Other Software  > Other Digital Media Software  > Comparing File Conversion Software...    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Comparing File Conversion Software...
PapaJohn is not online. Last active: 2/23/2015 2:43:58 PM PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 13291

Comparing File Conversion Software...
Posted: 27 Feb 2009 03:18 PM
File conversions to get things to Movie Maker or saved movies to other places is more in the limelight as time goes by. I've never (until a couple days ago) endorsed any general purpose conversion app, preferring more surgical approaches on a case-by-case basis.

A few days ago I adopted Xilisoft's Video Converter Ultimate by purchasing the full version and putting the trial version on my website for users to download. It's user interface is very similar to the free Quick Media Converter, so I started to test the differences between the paid-for and free apps.

I'm using both apps to do conversions of the same test files in XP, Vista and Windows 7.

I'll be adding the detailed results of my testing to my website, and chatting about them here. So far Xilisoft's conveter is off and running ahead of the Quick Media Converter. One point is it maintains the standard 4:3 or widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio when making 320x240 sized wmv files with default settings. That tells me the aspect ratio tag is being carried from the input file to the output and being used by Windows Media Player.

I'm interested in your real experiences with either app so we can compare notes, and with pointers to other general purpose utilities that are on a par with Xilisoft's Converter or the Quick Media Converter. I'm not interested in marketing pitches or SPAM... I'll delete such posts.

... my website isn't here... it's at www.papajohn.org
PapaJohn is not online. Last active: 2/23/2015 2:43:58 PM PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 13291

Re: Comparing File Conversion Software...
Posted: 27 Feb 2009 06:30 PM
I'm taking a peek at the free Media Encoder that I just saw neo point a user to... my first conversion was a 3 second DV-AVI file converted to a WMV file. Looking at the 3 WMV files made with the different general purpose converters from this same input DV-AVI file, using GSpot to assess the video codec:

Media Converter - MP43, S-Mpeg4 version 3
Quick Media Converter - WMV2, WMP v8
Video Converter Ultimate - WMV3, WMP v9 (VC-1 Simple/Main)

Each of these look good and plays fine in WMP and Movie Maker... but things can vary with the installed codecs on a system.

... my website isn't here... it's at www.papajohn.org
monica6688 is not online. Last active: 2/7/2018 12:12:11 AM monica6688
Total Posts: 56

Posted: 06 Feb 2018 10:13 PM
This is the best [url=http://www.brorsoft.com/]Converter[/url] I have ever used. You also can have a try. Good luck!
monica6688 is not online. Last active: 2/7/2018 12:12:11 AM monica6688
Total Posts: 56

Posted: 06 Feb 2018 10:14 PM
This is the best Converter I have ever used. You also can have a try. Good luck!
<br/>
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Other Software  > Other Digital Media Software  > Comparing File Conversion Software...