[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Getting Started with Windows Movie Maker  > Re: importing video from dvd    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: importing video from dvd
bruschi is not online. Last active: 2/16/2009 7:56:58 PM bruschi
Total Posts: 3

importing video from dvd
Posted: 15 Feb 2009 01:29 AM
This is the first time my husband and i have tried to use WMM. It's for our son's history project. We had video on a Hi8 analog cassette which we transferred to a DVD via an external DVD burner. We're trying to import it into MM. Got a message that said the file cannot be imported because the codec required to play is not installed on your computer. Don't know what this means and how to resolve it.
Bad Wolf is not online. Last active: 11/21/2010 3:21:25 PM Bad Wolf
uk.youtube.com
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 408

Re: importing video from dvd
Posted: 15 Feb 2009 06:03 AM
Chances are that the files on the DVD are .VOB and WMM only works with .AVI or .WMV

You will need to convert the files from the DVD to either of the above to be able to import them into WMM.

If you use the search the word 'convert' on the forums, you will find plenty of ideas for converting files.

If you think I'm being condescending then there's always the pound a minute help line

Posted: 15 Feb 2009 11:09 AM
No, we don't think you're being condescending. We are technical illilterates when it comes to WMM. My husband did get the video downloaded into WMM, but now cannot get the storyboard to recognize the clips we identified. I think you're right that the DVD is .VOB. We'll look in the forums for ideas. Thanks
uk.youtube.com
Top 50 Poster

Posted: 15 Feb 2009 12:44 PM
My Sig is just a bit of fun :-)

You could try Media-Convert this is an online converter and will convert .VOB's to .WMV

There are others but if you a unsure of things it's probably best to keep with a simple converter for the time being.

If you think I'm being condescending then there's always the pound a minute help line
desilucy is not online. Last active: 4/1/2012 9:16:25 PM desilucy
www.desilucy.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 7019

Posted: 16 Feb 2009 08:41 AM
bruschi-

This link may help you as it contains links and step guides...including MediaConverter.

Use a given converter?
Click Here

Rich-Previous Microsoft Digital Media MVP
Having trouble with MM...check here: www.desilucy.com
Or here: www.papajohn.org

Posted: 16 Feb 2009 03:07 PM
We have been hittting ourselves in the head all weekend. Converted the VOB files to avi through alive media converter that my brother-in-law had. Didn't work. Said our computer didn't have the right codec. Then converted the VOB files to wmv, which worked and could be downloaded into wmm, but they are pixelating and the quality is terrible. Know anything about this?
uk.youtube.com
Top 50 Poster

Posted: 16 Feb 2009 06:14 PM
Its to do with the bitrate of the video. The higher the bitrate the better the quality.

On the converted file; if you right click and go to properties>summary>advanced and look for the Video bitrate, it may also be called data rate in the video section.

It will be expressed in kbps.

What are the numbers?

retexan599 is not online. Last active: 2/22/2015 12:05:45 PM retexan599
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 470

Posted: 16 Feb 2009 06:15 PM
I convert my .vob files to an .avi type compatible for Movie Maker with VirtualDub for MPEG2. It can be found at:

http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/~fcchandler/stable/index.html

You should use it with a compression scheme; I use Windows Media Video 9, which can be found at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/AllDownloads.aspx?displang=en&qstechnology=

Another converter that will work is called ‘Super’. It can be found at:

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

One experiment that sometimes sheds light is to import one of the Sample Videos that come with Vista into WMM. On my machine they are in Users| Public| Public Videos. If they work in WMM, there is still a problem with your source files.

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
Vista Home Premium; WMM 6.0
HP Pavilion d4890y; 2 GB Ram; E6420 Core2 Duo
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Goto to page:  Prev Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Getting Started with Windows Movie Maker  > Re: importing video from dvd