[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Media  > Windows Media Player and Zune  > Windows Media Player 12 Beta 1    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Windows Media Player 12 Beta 1
DarthSinister is not online. Last active: 10/16/2010 1:23:25 PM DarthSinister
you.justgotowned.com
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 552

Windows Media Player 12 Beta 1
Posted: 09 Jan 2009 06:49 PM
Hi,

Well I've been trying out all the new beta apps in my copy of Windows 7 Build 7000 (Beta 1) and WMP 12 was one that particularly caught my eye.

Heres some of the features:
-Bright new 'lighter' UI compared to WMP 11, some buttons moved around but otherwise fairly similar.
-What does represent a big change is the removal of the "Now Playing" button, which in WMP 11 switches to a view showing the current playlist.

Microsoft has greatly fixed the 'codec' problem; an error thats caused most people to resort to alternate Media Players. In recognition of this, WMP12 includes support for H.264 video, AAC audio, and both Xvid and DivX video, in addition to all the formats supported by WMP11 in Vista (MPEG2, WMV, MP3, etc.). With these new codecs, WMP should support the majority of video found on the Internet out of the box.

The new Windows "Homegroup" allows steaming of Media Libraries from PC to PC and sooner to support Windows Media Extenders like an Xbox 360. WMP12 extends this to allow browsing not only of WMP libraries, but also of iTunes libraries. With the aforementioned H.264 and AAC support, WMP12 can play most iTunes media. It's only "most" because, of course, Apple won't license its FairPlay DRM to third parties, so WMP is unable to play DRM-protected iTunes Store tracks.

It's not just libraries that are improved. WMP 12 makes it easier to play back audio or video on remote devices, a feature dubbed "Play To." WMP12 can stream to other computers in your HomeGroup, so, for example, you can browse your library on your laptop but actually play back on the HTPC connected to your sound system.

I'll be posting some pictures very soon.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do. ~ Confucius

AIM: kradedis
Dazmi is not online. Last active: 3/26/2009 5:54:41 PM Dazmi
Total Posts: 17

Re: Windows Media Player 12 Beta 1
Posted: 19 Mar 2009 01:14 AM
Nice information!
I might download (or upgrade, if I can) it when it comes out with a full version.
you.justgotowned.com
Top 50 Poster

Posted: 20 Mar 2009 06:03 PM
Thank You. I'm actually hoping for the Interface to improve slightly. Its a little confusing at first to learn how to access your favorite songs and stuff. If you are running Windows Vista (Any Version) you can export the Windows 7 WMP files from the system folders and copy them onto Vista, and run them.

Windows Media Player 12 Beta on Windows Vista

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do. ~ Confucius

vnvnvn2000 is not online. Last active: 3/24/2009 6:16:16 AM vnvnvn2000
Total Posts: 1

Posted: 24 Mar 2009 06:16 AM
Here's how "slow" some of you people are:

This is suppossed to be Windows Media Player 12 Beta and it apparently has support for Windows 9X and ME.

Microsoft no longer supports any of those OS's so why the h*ll would they release a new media player that supports them?

Don't forget the fact that they're far from working on Windows Media Player 12 to begin with. They're focusing on Vista right now among other things. WMP 12 is far from their minds right now. It probably won't exist until Windows 7.
you.justgotowned.com
Top 50 Poster

Posted: 25 Mar 2009 06:42 PM
WMP 12 is pretty polished from my standpoint. And yes, they are working on it. Slowly but surely. If you have even tried out WMP 12 you would be bewildered by its new capabilities.

And fyi: WMP 12 does NOT support Windows ME or anything earlier than Vista for that matter.

Oh and Windows 7 does exist, it is nearing Release Candidate Stage which I will be getting a copy of before goes public on Microsoft.com (The current Build I am using is Windows 7 Build 7057).

Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Media  > Windows Media Player and Zune  > Windows Media Player 12 Beta 1