[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Capturing and Importing Media  > Re: DVD recorder VS PC capture devices    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: DVD recorder VS PC capture devices
Pip is not online. Last active: 9/22/2008 3:16:45 PM Pip
Total Posts: 3

DVD recorder VS PC capture devices
Posted: 28 Jul 2008 09:38 AM
Hi

I am just about to digitise some old legacy Hi8 home movies. The output of which is Composite video with Mono line out. PAL standard.

I have used PC capture cards in the distant past, and remember that results were less than perfect, and the process was hit and miss and quite time consuming when capturing analogue source material. I have recently borrowed a standalone DVD recorder and have been experimenting with using it as a capture device. My version of movie Maker seems to cope OK with . VOB files. It seems straight forward copying over the files and then editing them in Movie Maker.

Has anyone else used this method, or has anyone done comparisons with modern PC capture cards verses using a DVD recorder as a capture device.
I have many hours of video to convert and archive, and would value other users input on this subject so that I may learn from their experience

For reference I am using Movie Maker V6 (6001) on Vista Home premium, HP Pavilion Entertainment media lapdog! DVD recorder is a Lite-on LVW-5054 HDD+DVD Recorder

Thanks in advance.
fayfen is not online. Last active: 11/25/2019 4:28:28 AM fayfen
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 908

Re: DVD recorder VS PC capture devices
Posted: 28 Jul 2008 04:54 PM
your past experience was bad mainly because of slow CPU's and slow disks.
today comp's R much better, and you can grab a video> USB converter .

however I don't like laptops and video editing mix , but it's just me.
retexan599 is not online. Last active: 2/22/2015 12:05:45 PM retexan599
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 470

Posted: 28 Jul 2008 07:04 PM
You will eventually run into problems with .vob files and Movie Maker; they may appear to work in some cases, but problems will arise. VOB files are a form of MPEG2 -- have a look at PapaJohn's URL about MPEG2 at:

http://www.papajohn.org/MM2-Importing-Video-MPEG2.html

I do use a DVD Recorder for my capture device from VHS tape; I convert the resulting .vob files to a compatible .avi using VirtualDub for MPEG2 and the WMV 9 codec.

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
Vista Home Premium; WMM 6.0
HP Pavilion d4890y; 2 GB Ram; E6420 Core2 Duo

Posted: 29 Jul 2008 05:48 AM
Thanks John, and yes I have had a good look at papajohn.org, it is a good resource.

I am only using the DVD recorder as a capture device, I then intend to do the conversion you suggest.

I have also followed the info link in the GSpot program that I have been using to analyze various video files: http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~f76998/video/conversion/ describes in detail formats and screen sizes. This is particularly poignant for me, as the footage I have on Hi8 is in anamorphic 16:9 Jukka suggests that DVD recorders tend to be stricter with format standards that PC capture cards.

BTW GSPot reports that the capture is 720 x 576 DVD format
fayfen is not online. Last active: 11/25/2019 4:28:28 AM fayfen
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 908

Posted: 29 Jul 2008 07:10 AM
sure Gspot will report that, this is the size of HI8, and this is your video stream to the DVD.
The dvd dose'nt care if its anamorphic, for him it's plain SD video.
your 16:9 screen will correct it.
don't change the ratio along the whole work chain.

Posted: 05 Aug 2008 09:52 AM
OK I have now has some conflicting information regarding PC capture cards.

It has been suggested that if I use a PC capture card, there are some systems that can provide a noise reduction function and/or signal conditioning during capture, and this can aid in cleaning up the analogue signal prior to digitising. Comments welcome on this!

I also see many people in this forum are using the Dazzle USB capture device, are thay any good?

Again comments from people who have been there before me are most welcome.

Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Goto to page:  Prev Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Capturing and Importing Media  > Re: DVD recorder VS PC capture devices