[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Technical Support  > Re: split clip losing video    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: split clip losing video
Magic Magic Ninja is not online. Last active: 6/3/2008 4:49:12 PM Magic Magic Ninja
Total Posts: 1

split clip losing video
Posted: 03 Jun 2008 04:40 PM
i am trying to make a video with clips from different shows/movies, having each clip be about a minute long right in a row. When i split some videos only the part that is from the beginning will retain video, the second part of the split, however, does not have the video. It still keeps the audio, just on a black screen? Can anybody help me?
retexan599 is not online. Last active: 2/22/2015 12:05:45 PM retexan599
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 470

Re: split clip losing video
Posted: 03 Jun 2008 08:41 PM
A first place to start is to see if you have incompatible source (video and/or audio) files. Try this URL:

http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Tutorials/MovieMaker/File_type_compatibility.htm

Another trick that sometimes works is to uncheck the boxes in Tools| Options| Compatibility.

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
Vista Home Premium; WMM 6.0
HP Pavilion d4890y; 2 GB Ram; E6420 Core2 Duo
Asento is not online. Last active: 1/5/2009 3:02:36 PM Asento
Total Posts: 7

Posted: 09 Oct 2008 04:26 AM
I've got the same problem. When I drag 720 HD AVI files from my Jazz Elite DHD178 camcorder to Movie Maker, they work great. Everything's still fine when I operate on resizing or cutting off the end of the clip. But things go weird whenever I try to resize the beginning of the clip or split the beginning from the rest of the clip. The first half of the split looks normal (with the thumbnail icon) and plays perfectly, even when moved. But when I try to resize (trim) the beginning of the clip or delete the first part of the clip, the second part loses the thumbnail image and all video info, leaving the audio in tact. I don't know much about "key frames," but it seems like Movie Maker is not handling them properly at split points since the original key frame at the beginning of the first half of the clip is okay but the second half of the split clip isn't able to start and play the video. Maybe I'm wrong? I don't know enough to determine if this is a file format problem caused by my Jazz camcorder; a software glitch with Movie Maker; or possibly a codec issue. One thing I do know is that I'll figure this out even if it's the end of me.

Ron
neophyte is not online. Last active: 3/9/2018 9:52:14 PM neophyte
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 20182

Posted: 09 Oct 2008 11:18 AM
Ron - did you try converting the files to wmv format as I suggested in my response to your other post? If not, give that a try (as Movie Maker doesn't support the high def files from your camcorder)

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius
Asento is not online. Last active: 1/5/2009 3:02:36 PM Asento
Total Posts: 7

Posted: 10 Oct 2008 06:48 AM
No, I didn't consider converting the AVI files to a lower resolution because Movie Maker seems to be doing everything else great with the AVI files. There's even an option to select a 16x9 screen ratio and one of the burn options is "Windows Media HD 720p (5.9 Mbps)." This all gave me hope that Movie Maker did support that resolution. Why would you want to bump up the original resolution anyway? I'm probably showing off my ignorance now, right?

In fact, after I stopped banging my head against the "glitch," I left all the clip beginnings alone and ended up with a very nice 720p finished project. At least it looks like an HD 720p resolution. Also, I've been having some pathetic luck with trimming the beginnings of clips by splitting and then trimming the end of the first clip (the one, I assume, with the key frame) as much as possible. As long as the newly "squeezed" first half clip remains in tact and precedes the second half clip, the video of the second clip will play. I'm trying to mask the unwanted squeezed first section under a fade but we're not talking about adult grown-up quality here.

Ron

Ron
neophyte is not online. Last active: 3/9/2018 9:52:14 PM neophyte
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 20182

Posted: 10 Oct 2008 11:29 AM
Ron - I see from your last post in this thread that you did try converting the file to wmv format and that resolved the problem. See that thread for my suggestions on video conversion programs.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Goto to page:  Prev Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Technical Support  > Re: split clip losing video