[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Free for all, Anything Goes Forums  > PapaJohn's Newsletter  > Costly 'Newsletters' are Changing... to Free 'Articles'    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Costly 'Newsletters' are Changing... to Free 'Articles'
PapaJohn is not online. Last active: 2/23/2015 2:43:58 PM PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 13291

Costly 'Newsletters' are Changing... to Free 'Articles'
Posted: 19 Mar 2008 02:30 PM
The feature article in the March 2008 issue of Wired magazine is "Why $0.00 is the Future of Business"... that's $0.00 as in 'free'.

Taking the article to heart I'm changing my newsletters to go back to the way they were for the first 1/2 year.... free, pro-rating refunds to paid subscribers.

I took down my post that offers any issue for $1... that's not free.

Freeness will be better for everyone except me unless I change how I manage the subsriber list and publish the content. Future issues will be published as web pages on my site... I'll not have to maintain a list of those who read them. And I can relax my self-imposed Friday night deadlines.

I'll also stop stripping issue-specific content from my website to save space... heck, over 98% of my 300 GB allotted space at 1&1 is sitting there unused. It's time to use it.

Beyond that, I'll be going through all of the issued ones to update content and links, and add them to my website also...

This will relieve Rob of the conversion process from my emailed newsletters, the pressure he's under from regular piles of backlogged issues to clean up, and simplify his accounting by lowering the revenue stream he gets from viewers clicking ads on those pages. What I get from additional ad revenue by having them on my site will be some compensation for lost subscription revenue. The Wired article talks about how that's the future way of getting business revenue.

I'm thinking of them now more as 'articles' rather than 'newsletters'. I love doing the weekly research and writing. It's just that it'll be published and viewed a different way, an easier and better process for all.

This week's issue will be an email to subscribers informing them of this and more....

... my website isn't here... it's at www.papajohn.org
JL4VIDEO is not online. Last active: 9/5/2008 1:32:46 AM JL4VIDEO
Top 100 Poster
Total Posts: 96

Re: Costly 'Newsletters' are Changing... to Free 'Articles'
Posted: 21 Mar 2008 01:33 PM
Hi PapaJohn

I hope that the Newsletters Archive will still be open for some time to come. I never kept copies you see, the Archives that was my technical Library, complete and better organized than my hard disk(s). Well I guess I will read about it in the morning.

John
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 21 Mar 2008 02:15 PM
Hi John... the current Archive is on Rob's site, this one... not on mine. Even the links on my site to specific newsletters go here.

A couple things are sure... nothing will happen quickly, and I'll be making sure they are available someplace on line.

glow is not online. Last active: 2/28/2016 4:07:11 AM glow
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1441

Posted: 22 Mar 2008 06:51 AM
Hi PapaJohn

Well I've enjoyed reading your newletters over the years and picked up plenty of tips.
I look forward to reading your articles as well.

I must admit I haven't travelled to your website in quite some time. I guess the articles may boost your traffic.

Will you be providing an RSS feed?

I use Firefox+Greasemonkey scripts for easier editing of forum posts, FAQs and displaying embedded images Wink
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 22 Mar 2008 11:13 AM
I don't know yet about RSS feeds, but I'd expect those on Bright Hub to provide one, but not those on my site.

Thanks for your continued interest over the years...

www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 24 Mar 2008 01:39 PM
The latest issue... #193 about vimeo... is the first to make it to my website. Here's the link.

Newsletter 193 - vimeo

I won't be placing links to each of the issues as I add them, but I'll be adding an index to all the issued newsletters someplace on my site, with links to the online copies that are either on this site or mine.

www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 24 Mar 2008 03:51 PM

The first 3 parts of the 2008 series about Codecs are online... issues 187, 191, and 192 are online with links from this page

Setup - Codecs and Compressors

Don S is not online. Last active: 7/15/2011 10:57:19 AM Don S
Total Posts: 6

Posted: 04 Apr 2008 04:45 PM
Hi Papajohn,

First, let me say how much I have enjoyed your newsletter and that I hate to see it go. But I totally understand your reasoning.

What I am trying to figure out now, is where is the best place for me to routinely monitor to see your latest words of wisdom? Is it in this thread/forum, your web site, or Bright Hub?

You spoiled us. We just had to sit back and wait for your newsletter to come on Fridays and then follow whatever links were provided. :-)

I'm looking forward to all of your future new and revised articles.

Don S.
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 04 Apr 2008 06:34 PM
Thanks Don,

I don't know how things will settle down over time... one great thing about the internet and websites is how easy it is to change on a dime.

42 of the 193 newsletters are now pages on my site, with the usual links from the various site pages to them. I'm chipping away at them daily but it'll still be a couple months before they are all there, and the old links fixed or new ones added as needed.

It might help if I added a table of contents page to supplement the links on the pages. I'd appreciate any thoughts on that. subject. A list from #1 to #193 as Rob has it here might not be as good as a topical sort, like Photo Story ones as a group, MM2.1 another, Vista, etc... That'll be easy to roll out once I know how to sort the list.

It seems the articles for Bright Hub will be much shorter than my typical newsletter, more akin to a blog entry. I'm not sure yet if any of the already issued newsletters belong there.... probably not.

As far as I can see, my site and articles will remain subjects of interest to users of Movie Maker and Photo Story, not to those who use other software or have other primary interests. But my channel on Bright Hub will be for everyone who is somehow touched by or involved in digital video.... and I don't know anyone who isn't somehow.

As you resubscribed in early February, and for refunds I'm working myself backwards in the subscription list. Yours is right around the corner.

This thread is as good a place as any to continue some discussion about how the changes are going, and how you can get a substitute for the automatic newsletter deliveries.

glow is not online. Last active: 2/28/2016 4:07:11 AM glow
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1441

Posted: 11 May 2008 08:06 AM
Rob, PapaJohn

You might like to reword the "Subscribe Now" ad for the newsletters on the home page of http://windowsmoviemakers.net

I use Firefox+Greasemonkey scripts for easier editing of forum posts, FAQs and displaying embedded images Wink
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 11 May 2008 03:40 PM
Thanks... I had turned off my front doorbell, but hadn't changed the pages inside that let new subscribers signup... I'd been wondering how people were still subscribing. With the content still in place and Rob's back door bell, now I know.

I just changed the content so, if they go in thru the back door, they won't be able to send money to subscribe. I'll stop exercising PayPal's refund process.

Rob is not online. Last active: 9/15/2017 4:38:19 PM Rob
www.windowsmoviemakers.net
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 1887

Posted: 12 May 2008 08:46 AM
Thanks, I took off the subscribe now text.

www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 12 May 2008 01:28 PM
thanks Rob... it's as hard to stop something as it is to start it up.... ;)

Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Free for all, Anything Goes Forums  > PapaJohn's Newsletter  > Costly 'Newsletters' are Changing... to Free 'Articles'