[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Free for all, Anything Goes Forums  > PapaJohn's Newsletter  > Issue #192 - 2008 - About Codecs - Part 3 of ?? - Making AVI Files with VirtualDub    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Issue #192 - 2008 - About Codecs - Part 3 of ?? - Making AVI Files with VirtualDub
PapaJohn is not online. Last active: 2/23/2015 2:43:58 PM PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 13291

Issue #192 - 2008 - About Codecs - Part 3 of ?? - Making AVI Files with VirtualDub
Posted: 04 Mar 2008 04:37 PM
Back to back issues about codecs...

This one will be at a more practical level, about the info on my Import Movie Source Files > Video > Video Codecs page.... the checking I'm doing of my current systems, and when Vista is part of the equation.

It's like a horse-race.... starting with 25 compression options when running a video through VirtualDub, and going around a number of laps in XP and Vista systems, going back and forth between them. 3 of the 25 made it the finish line, codecs that work in both XP and Vista and produce files that work in Movie Maker 2.1 or Vista MM6... the rest drop out along the way for various reasons.

One reason is playing upside down when it gets into Movie Maker... another is it playing only the lower left quadrent of the video in WMP11.

The newsletter will be about what I'm finding... it'll be issued by March 8th and online for open viewing abut June.

... my website isn't here... it's at www.papajohn.org
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Re: Issue #192 - 2008 - About Codecs - Part 3 of ?? - Making AVI Files with VirtualDub
Posted: 08 Mar 2008 02:03 AM
the issue is in the mail...

www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Re: Issue #192 - 2008 - About Codecs - Part 3 of ?? - Making AVI Files with VirtualDub
Posted: 08 Mar 2008 07:24 PM
I finished this week's newsletter feeling that the average Movie Maker user today who goes into Vista won't be able to cope with only the codecs and tools that come with Vista...

They will need to more and more rely on add-on codecs and conversion tools...

I added a new short section to my website's Setup Movie Maker > Codecs and Compressors page to list, with links, the core codecs and tools that I use to get files into Movie Maker...

I also brought VirtualDub-MPEG2 more into the limelight... adding it to my Import Movie Source Files > Video > Discs page as the first and easiest way to get DVDs into Movie Maker. I had a great interactive session yesterday with someone who runs a business taking music videos from anyone, editing them in Movie Maker and putting them online.

She asks for the incoming files to be in AVI format, but typically gets them as video DVDs... we setup her work flow to go directly from the discs to DV-AVI files using VirtualDub-MPEG2, to get files that work great in Movie Maker.

Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Free for all, Anything Goes Forums  > PapaJohn's Newsletter  > Issue #192 - 2008 - About Codecs - Part 3 of ?? - Making AVI Files with VirtualDub