[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Free for all, Anything Goes Forums  > PapaJohn's Newsletter  > Issue #188 - Countdown Clocks for Stories...    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Issue #188 - Countdown Clocks for Stories...
PapaJohn is not online. Last active: 2/23/2015 2:43:58 PM PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 13291

Issue #188 - Countdown Clocks for Stories...
Posted: 04 Feb 2008 02:05 PM
For a lighter subject than the series about codecs started last week, I'll do one about making and customizing countdown clocks for PS3 stories.

I made the fiirst couple yesterday and put them on my website's Photo Story 3 > Do Amazing Things page. Links include the finished story clips and downloadable PS3 project files so you can open one and start adding your own pictures after the countdown.

In the newsletter I'll also show you how to easily make changes to the countdown pictures... to personalize them. The issue will be published by Feb 9 and be online for open viewing about April.

... my website isn't here... it's at www.papajohn.org
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Re: Issue #187 - Countdown Clocks for Stories...
Posted: 09 Feb 2008 03:23 AM
the newsletter went out a couple hours ago...

Don S is not online. Last active: 7/15/2011 10:57:19 AM Don S
Total Posts: 6

Posted: 09 Feb 2008 02:50 PM
Hi Papajohn,

I received your Newsletter regarding the countdown clocks (Which I believe is #188) and am having trouble downloading the teplates. I'm using IE 7/Vista with OL 2007 as my email program.

When I left click on one of the templates, I get "Page Can't be found" error. If I right click on the link, Copy is grayed out, and I don't get the familar Save Target as... choice. All I see is Select, Open, & Copy Hyperlink choices.

I thought I knew how to do this kind of stuff. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Don S
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 09 Feb 2008 05:31 PM
I'll check... and let you know.

www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 09 Feb 2008 05:47 PM
seems that neither XP or Vista let a link to a WP3 file work.... so I put both in a zip file. Here's the link

PS3 Countdown Templates

Posted: 10 Feb 2008 05:57 PM
Hi PapaJohn,

It's me again. The Zip files worked great. Thanks. Followed your instructions and everything was where it should be in Vista. But, as you point out, trying to save over the image in the temp file is problematic. You state: "I got past it by my usual hacking around in the security settings".

Have you discussed this in one of your newsletters, web sites etc? Could you give me a hint as to how to get started in Vista? My superficial hacking has not been successful. If the hacks are explained for XP I could switch to that machine if it easier for you to explain.

Thanks,

Don
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 10 Feb 2008 06:48 PM
Hi Don...

I didn't keep notes so I don't really know the key to being able to overwrite the files... it's either in granting permissions to a user, or the security options for a folder... the other thing is I found IrfanView more able to overwrite a file than Explorer.

Until I know what I did.... use XP and there shouldn't be an issue.

The good thing is, whatever I did, I'm now able to do it routinely on my Vista laptop. It wasn't just a temporary measure.

Posted: 11 Feb 2008 01:07 PM
PapaJohn,

I got around the Vista security I think by running PS 3 as an administrator. However, Photoshop Elements would still not save the edited images into the open program temp folder. So, I saved them in another folder and then was able to drag/drop them using Windows Explorer.

I had not tried this exact technique before (drag/drop), but I am assuming that running the program as an administrator was the key.

At ay rate I was able to customize the template. Pretty neat opening for a video.

Thanks for the help.

Don
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 11 Feb 2008 01:22 PM
I don't run it as Administrator...

Last night as I was making the new 'checkerboard' template in XP, I noticed that Paint couldn't save over the temp files... so I copy from Paint to IrfanView, which has no sharing issues when replacing the file.

There's always a way to get something done, but it's a bit like fishing at times. If one way dowsn't work, try another. Enjoy!!!

Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Free for all, Anything Goes Forums  > PapaJohn's Newsletter  > Issue #188 - Countdown Clocks for Stories...