[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Sharing Movies on the Internet  > Choosing a Movie Playback Setting for the Internet    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Choosing a Movie Playback Setting for the Internet
MovieMaker is not online. Last active: 2/15/2010 12:59:11 PM MovieMaker
windowsmoviemakers.net
Total Posts: 48

Choosing a Movie Playback Setting for the Internet
Posted: 27 Jul 2003 12:00 PM
Choosing a Movie Playback Setting for the Internet

If you choose the right setting when you save your movie before posting it to the Web, you can ensure that your movie plays at an acceptable quality level, no matter what connection speed your viewers use. These are the options that Windows Movie Maker provides for saving a movie that contains both video and audio:

Dial up modem (56 Kbps)
Use this setting if viewers will most likely use a dial-up modem (at approximately 56 Kbps) to connect to the Web and watch your movie. This will save the movie in a smaller file size, and the resulting picture size will be smaller.

ISDN (64 Kbps)
Use this setting if your audience will mostly be using an ISDN connection (at approximately 64 Kbps) to connect to the Web and watch your movie.

DSL, cable modem, or higher (384 Kbps)
If your viewers will mostly use a broadband connection (at approximately 384 Kbps or higher) to connect to the Web and watch your movie, use this connection. It will save the file in a larger format for a better viewing experience.

Best fit to file size
You can also specify that you want your movie file size to fit within a certain size range. This is a good option if your ISP/hosting provider places a file size limit on movies sent to their server. You can then choose a maximum file size. It provides additional movie settings for your movie.
Kevin is not online. Last active: 3/11/2005 12:39:49 AM Kevin
www.hyannispoint.com
Top 100 Poster
Total Posts: 26

Re: Choosing a Movie Playback Setting for the Internet
Posted: 11 Mar 2005 12:29 AM
You can go one step further and run your video through Windows Media Encoder (free download from microsoft) Then you can use multi bitrate encoding and encode for dial-up, isdn, and dsl. If you host that video on a server with windows media services, then when your users connect to the streaming video, Media player will negotiate a bandwidth with the media services so that the person sees the highest quality version of the video their bandwidth will allow for.

I realize I mentioned a lot of tools in that previous paragraph, however if you are looking to put video on your website, that is the only way to go. (for wmv)
Pumapayam is not online. Last active: 4/29/2008 10:14:09 AM Pumapayam
www.thestoryofstuff.com
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 328

Posted: 20 Jul 2006 10:51 PM
That is longer than the recently limited youtube file size.

great!

If you have a constant fear of death, you never lived!
TheDoctor is not online. Last active: 6/23/2017 6:46:43 PM TheDoctor
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 2199

Posted: 22 Jul 2006 03:38 AM
dont understand - what is longer?

My New APP
timetodoit is not online. Last active: 7/25/2008 10:03:36 PM timetodoit
Total Posts: 36

Posted: 17 Jan 2008 05:06 PM
You can go one step further and run your video through Windows Media Encoder (free download from microsoft) as said by Kevin, however it would be more advisable if everyone would also put the link to such an encoder as I have trouble at times looking for such items to use as web sites are so busy with so much on a website.

timetodoit
Robino is not online. Last active: 2/23/2009 6:17:39 PM Robino
www.robino.info
Top 100 Poster
Total Posts: 114

Posted: 03 Mar 2008 07:58 AM
I've uploaded my 26 minute movie (wma format) to my website and when I click on it, it takes forever to load. The movie starts and then stops when it catches out to what has been buffering -- I'm sure people viewing this do not want to wait for the entire movie to be load. Would the Windows Media Encoder (I have it downloaded) help and how would I do this?

XP User - SnapShots In Motion by Robin 2
TheDoctor is not online. Last active: 6/23/2017 6:46:43 PM TheDoctor
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 2199

Posted: 23 Mar 2008 01:04 AM
needs to be wmv format but also the correct setting

see my movies below or tutorials at media doc top line

My New APP
enickmilam is not online. Last active: 2/21/2016 4:11:10 PM enickmilam
Total Posts: 1

"At the Mountains of Madness" H.P. Lovecraft
Posted: 21 Feb 2016 04:10 PM
H. P. Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness" would be a great movie, better than star wars. Also check out
Olaf Stapeldon's "Starmaker" and
Greg Bear's "Eon"

Can find all of them on line for free, but will send you pdf file if you like.

Cheers,
Nick
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Sharing Movies on the Internet  > Choosing a Movie Playback Setting for the Internet