[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Technical Support  > Re: WMM won't import WMV file    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: WMM won't import WMV file
mintsol is not online. Last active: 1/22/2008 9:25:45 AM mintsol
Total Posts: 6

WMM won't import WMV file
Posted: 10 Jan 2008 12:18 PM
WMP version: 11.0.5721.5230
WMM version: 2.1.4026.0 aka 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254:Service Pack 2)
OS version: Windows XP 2002 Service Pack 2

What Happened:

1) A friend created a WMV file on her computer, running Vista

2) She copied the file to a thumb drive and I downloaded it on my computer

3) The file played fine in WMP.

4) I wanted to edit the file in WMM, so I tried to "Import into collections" and got the following error message:

"The file [path\filename.wmv] cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again."

What I Have Done (so far):

a) Looked at the file properties in WMP to see the codec information, which is: (audio) Windows Media Audio 9.2 and (video) Windows Media Video 9 Advanced Profile.

b) Searched on the web for a way to find out if I have those installed (there is no good way according to Microsoft) or restore the files if they are corrupted (I reinstalled WMV from a fresh download).

c) Posted a thread on this site in the forum about downloading files (got only one response and tried the suggestion but it had no effect).

d) Tried changing the format to something else (e.g. AVI) that I can use in WMM using several different programs downloaded from the web, but none will actually do the conversion. Either they say that they are done and the AVI file is 0 bytes or they go into a continuous loop of error messages or they work forever and never show any progress.

e) Downloaded GSpot and found out that the file is apparently actually using the VC-1 codec.

f) Tried to find out if there is a way of getting that codec from the web (there doesn't seem to be).

g) Re-reloaded and re-reinstalled WMP 11.

h) Tried to import again and got the same message.

So, it looks like I am supposed to have the codecs i need as part of WMP 11, but for some reason WMM can't recognize that I have it installed.

Is it possible that the file is corrupt even though it plays in WMP? How can I find out?

Any other ideas for getting the file into WMM to edit?

retexan599 is not online. Last active: 2/22/2015 12:05:45 PM retexan599
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 470

Re: WMM won't import WMV file
Posted: 10 Jan 2008 07:19 PM
I just learned about a useful tool called Sherlock which finds the codecs installed on one's computer. Perhaps it would help.

http://www.updatexp.com/sherlock
(Or Try: www.1updatexp.com/sherlock.exe )

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
Vista Home Premium; WMM 6.0
HP Pavilion d4890y; 2 GB Ram; E6420 Core2 Duo

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 01:41 PM
Thanks for the tip. I've been looking for a codec sniffer so that I could know for sure whether or not I had VC-1 installed.

According to Sherlock, I DON'T have it installed!

One of the first things I did was look online to see if I could get and install that codec - no luck.

Anybody got any ideas on how to get that codec?
PapaJohn is not online. Last active: 2/23/2015 2:43:58 PM PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 13291

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 03:03 PM
check my website's Setup Movie Maker > Other Software page.... the section about codecs includes some comments about it, and a link

... my website isn't here... it's at www.papajohn.org

Posted: 15 Jan 2008 01:32 PM
The page you directed me to on your site says:

"The VC-1 codec evolved from the Windows Media Video 9 Advanced profile. VC-1 has three distinct modes of operation, or profiles, that each support different features: simple profile, main profile, and advanced profile.

The VC-1 codec is included in Windows Media Player 11, the Windows Media Format 11 SDK, and Vista. It can also be downloaded from the Windows Download Web site."

Your link takes me to a Microsoft page entitled: "Using the Advanced Settings of the Windows Media Video 9 Codec"

All of this indicates that VC-1 should have been installed when I installed WMP 11. On the off chance that it was corrupted or overwritten, I have already tried reinstalling WMP 11 twice trying to restore VC-1, but either it isn't being installed or something is removing/corrupting it before I can do anything else on my system.

Your page implies that I can get the codec separately, without having to reinstall WMP 11, but the Microsoft site does not seem to have it as a separate download. At least I haven't been able to find it, except as a part of WMP 11. If I go to their downloads center and then navigate to the codecs page, the most recent option they offer is "Codecs Installation Package for Windows Media Video 9 VCM".

Is there any place to get VC-1 as a separate download or is WMP 11 the only source? If WMP 11 is the only way to get it, why isn't it installing on my system?
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 15 Jan 2008 02:14 PM
see if you have wmv9vcm.dll in your c:\Windows\system32 folder.

if not, you can search for that file name... looks like there are places to get it, but I kind of trust the Microsoft installation process and not others when it comes to getting the right file and setting it up. But WMP11 setup is by Microsoft???

I wish I knew about codecs, but they are still a mystery to me.

Posted: 18 Jan 2008 09:39 AM
First, I looked in the system32 folder and then I did a more thorough search - my system doesn't have that dll installed.

Next, I went to Microsoft's support site and searched on the name of the dll - no matching documents were found (I wonder what that means).

I searched Google on the file name and found several sites that have the file available for download. I guess I'll try to figure out which one is safest and reload it.

Isn't a codec just a compression/decompression algorithm, like ZIP, except designed specifically for a certain video file format?
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 18 Jan 2008 03:52 PM
yes, codecs are kind of like that... but then there's the interactions of the various codecs, and the times things don't all work together and an app like Movie Maker crashes. Even if they don't crash, I wonder about why the unchecking of an audio filter in the compatibility list in MM6 would result in the visual part of a file not being seen, etc, etc.

FPAtl is not online. Last active: 1/17/2010 10:54:47 PM FPAtl
Total Posts: 2

Posted: 17 Jan 2010 01:38 AM
OK, I signed up for this site just to get help on this one problem. I really hope someone here can help.

All the time I've had my computer and have been editing videos I've never had a problem. All of the sudden, I do.

I have Windows XP, Movie Maker 2.1.

Movie Maker will not let me import ANYTHING, not even WMV files. What I'm wanting to do is make a video for a wrestling company I work for, an entrance video for a wrestler, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, someone here might know him.

Anyway, what I have always done when we brought someone in for a show who has been on TV before, I'll grab a bunch of footage off YouTube (FLV files) and convert it to WMV using Magic Video Converter. I've always done this with no problem. Suddenly, this doesn't work. Videos that I have already made before will import just fine, but with this set WMVs that I converted from FLVs (again, as I have always done before with no problem), I get the following message:

The file C:\[file path].wmv cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again.

====

I had K-Lite Codec Pack, I uninstalled and reinstalled it with no change.

I used PapaJohn's method of reinstalling Movie Maker 2.1 that he shows on his website with no change.

I checked if I had wmv9vcm.dll in my system32 folder (also suggested by PapaJohn earlier in this thread), which I didn't, so I installed Windows Media Video 9 VCM and the Codec Installation Package from Microsoft's website, restarted, no change.

I then tried installing VC-1, also mentioned in this thread (by mintsol). Still doesn't work. I've run out of things to try.

====

Can someone help me, please?
neophyte is not online. Last active: 3/9/2018 9:52:14 PM neophyte
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 20182

Posted: 17 Jan 2010 10:19 PM
Welcome to the forums.

If you haven't done so, try doing a System Restore back to a date when Movie Maker was working normally.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius
FPAtl is not online. Last active: 1/17/2010 10:54:47 PM FPAtl
Total Posts: 2

Posted: 17 Jan 2010 10:54 PM
Thanks for the advice, Neophyte. I got my problem solved, though. I simply used a different video converter and everything works now. Weird.

Thanks for the help, though, I appreciate it.
neophyte is not online. Last active: 3/9/2018 9:52:14 PM neophyte
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 20182

Posted: 17 Jan 2010 11:21 PM
You're welcome; glad you got it resolved.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Goto to page:  Prev Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Technical Support  > Re: WMM won't import WMV file