[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Media  > Windows Media Player and Zune  > Playing wma and powerpoint on DVD    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Playing wma and powerpoint on DVD
brohdaw is not online. Last active: 10/2/2007 11:37:25 PM brohdaw
Total Posts: 1

Playing wma and powerpoint on DVD
Posted: 02 Oct 2007 11:37 PM
First, let me say that I have worked on finding answers on how to change quicktime, window movie media, and powerpoint as needed so that is not really my question.

My question is, I made home movies such as pictures and videos mainly under .wma but there are a few I have for powerpoint, I saved these videos to a DVD-RW but they will not play on my DVD player. Pictures that I have saved to the same disk earlier will play like a screensaver but the .wma and .ppt files that I saved on this disk do not even show up as available when the DVD is read. (I'm not sure this is important but I also included background music on these 'homemade movies.) That's another thing, any music I burn to these same DVDs will play on my DVD player.

My DVD player is at least two years old and it was a cheap DVD player but it also has following listed on the front (and wma is one of them!)...DVD/VCD/CD MP3 Player, Progressive Scan (which I tried to search what this was about but still clueless! lol), wma/mp3 (this is listed twice, in this it is listed with a 'lightening bolt' where I have the forward slash.) Picture CD, Dolby Digital, Compact Disk Digitial Audio. The DVD player is a Oritron DVD 3119 - I was not able to find too much information but most the information - which was from 2005 or earlier, had a few people saying they had problems but many others saying they have never had any issues play any types of media or files.

I'm very new to trying to do all this (but it's about time) and I guess it does not matter if I figure this out because as soon as I can buy a better DVD player, the children are getting this one - then they will get a new one when they get a little older lol. But I guess it would still be nice is they could share their family movies and such with friends. I also tried to play this on their DVD player, and it did not work --- this is what makes me think it is something I am doing. (There's is an even cheaper DVD player but it's a Magnavox MWD 200F)

So my question is, am I doing something wrong? Do I need a different DVD player? Do I need to use DVD-Rs? (I'm not too comfortable with those because if you mess up...that's 'all she wrote,' lol)

Thanks,
Kerri
kathokatho is not online. Last active: 12/29/2011 3:52:08 AM kathokatho
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 6509

Re: Playing wma and powerpoint on DVD
Posted: 03 Oct 2007 08:41 AM
A .wma file is a Windows Media Audio file, not a video file. Most Dvd players will not play those unless converted to mp3. .ppt files as far as I know do not play on home dvd players. You will need to use a capture software to capture the Power Point Presentation as a video file, and then software to convert and burn to the dvd disc as an mpeg2/vob file. Camtasia is one program than captures Power Point to video...there are some that are free...you might want to Google that.

Cuss, act rude... be ungrateful....go ahead, make my day!

Fabrizet is not online. Last active: 11/28/2007 9:09:14 PM Fabrizet
Total Posts: 39

Posted: 01 Nov 2007 08:21 PM
yea, you're thinking of a .wmv(windows media video)
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Posted: 15 Nov 2007 06:03 AM
DVD players can only handle one type of video (MPEG-2) and only with a specific directory structure (folder for audio / folder for video / .ifo and .bup files).

If you just burn random file types (like .ppt, .wmv, etc.) they may be playable in another PC (if it has appropriate players), but it definitely won't be playable in a DVD player.

What you need to do is to get everything into a video file format. Your .wmv files are already there. Your .ppt files would need to get "video captured" using something like Windows Media Encoder series 9 (from microsoft.com). WME can take a region of the screen, and as you play back something like your PPT, it records everything to a .wmv file.

Once you have everything saved as video files, go to your DVD burning software and tell it you want to burn a *video* DVD (not just a data DVD). It should do all the re-encoding to MPEG-2 and creating the appropriate files and folders.

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos
kent is not online. Last active: 12/10/2007 11:37:22 AM kent
Total Posts: 32

Posted: 10 Dec 2007 11:37 AM
If you to play PowerPoint on DVD-player - download Presentation To Video Converter
It's a PowerPoint converter & burner
http://www.geovid.com/Presentation_to_Video_Converter/
Maha is not online. Last active: 11/11/2008 5:50:36 AM Maha
Total Posts: 20

Posted: 05 Aug 2008 07:31 AM
I recommend to use VideoPPT to playing powerpoint on DVD.
It converts presentation to AVI, WMV, SWF or FLV video.
Annaly is not online. Last active: 7/19/2010 1:40:45 AM Annaly
Total Posts: 2

Posted: 25 May 2010 11:43 PM
The tool I'm using now is: Wondershare PPT2DVD

Recently, it's upgraded with the function of burning powerpoint 2010 to DVD. Hope it helps.
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Media  > Windows Media Player and Zune  > Playing wma and powerpoint on DVD