[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Free for all, Anything Goes Forums  > PapaJohn's Newsletter  > Issue #170 - use your 'point-and-shoot' camera    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Issue #170 - use your 'point-and-shoot' camera
PapaJohn is not online. Last active: 2/23/2015 2:43:58 PM PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 13291

Issue #170 - use your 'point-and-shoot' camera
Posted: 01 Oct 2007 02:34 PM
The recent Geekipedia Supplement to Wired magazine had this to say about camcorders in the Obsolescence management section on page 38...

Camcorder gadget - "Manufacturers have yet to settle on a hi-def codec or medium. Be patient while they are ironing out the kinks, and stick with a digital point-and-shoot that records video".

For this week's newsletter, I'll try it.... put aside my tape camcorders and firewire connection, and use my Canon PowerShot SD750 with it's USB connection.

Before I posted this, I figured I needed at least a little pilot project to see if it worked without the hassle of file conversions. Sure enough, it worked fine... here's the test clip.

Movie from Canon SD750

I just recorded the first thing I saw... my laptop keyboard... and then played with things on the LCD screen, a bluescreen with some animated 3D text.

Copying the video files from the camera to my hard drive importing into Movie Maker, and making a movie is just as easy as DV-AVI files with firewire from my mini-DV camcorder.

The issue will be sent out by Oct 6th and online for open viewing about December.

... my website isn't here... it's at www.papajohn.org
glow is not online. Last active: 2/28/2016 4:07:11 AM glow
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1441

Re: Issue #170 - use your 'point-and-shoot' camera
Posted: 03 Oct 2007 09:46 AM
Hi PJ

Indeed I use my point and shoot camera for video more often than I use my video camera.
I disagree with your assertion that a file copy is just as easy as capturing via firewire from mini-DV. I find file copying is much easier, quicker and more convenient.
I find it frustrating only being able to capture in real time and not have random access to clips when using tape.
A few weeks ago I shot about 4 hours of my kids' school concerts. I wanted to edit it and make a DVD. After half a day my wife asks me if I've finished - at that point I'd only just captured everything Crying

These days I only drag out the video camera when I want
- slightly better quality for a big event like a wedding
- many hours of recording (my 1Gb card only holds a maximum of about 40 minutes on standard setting)
- better zooming like at a concert (20x for my video camera, only 3x for the still and can't zoom while recording)

My son was born this week and all my video has been taken with my point-and-shoot.
It was nice being able to send out a quick video with the birth announcement email.

I use Firefox+Greasemonkey scripts for easier editing of forum posts, FAQs and displaying embedded images Wink
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 03 Oct 2007 12:21 PM
thanks for all that...

I'm carrying around my point-and-shoot Canon SD750 this week. Much less conspicuous too at places like Barnes&Noble... the type of camera gets smiles as it marks you as an amateur. The big mini-DV looks professional.

I'm finding it gets 8 minutes of high quality video on a 1 GB flash card... in high quality Motion JPEG setting... not much different than the size of DV-AVI files, but the quality is less.

The zoom goes to 3x optical and 12x digital. I can zoom as I shoot, but it stops at the transition between optical and digital... gotta look at the settings to see if it'll zoom fully without pause.

The audio is mono and the mic is on the left side of the camera rather than the front... gotta be careful not to muffle it with my hand.

Easy/Convenient.... yes!!! Am I ready to use it routinely in place of my mini-DV? No... but it's only Wednesday. In a couple days when I finish the newsletter, maybe I'll feel differently.

www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 05 Oct 2007 02:57 PM
and glow.... congrats on your son!!!

Rob is not online. Last active: 9/15/2017 4:38:19 PM Rob
www.windowsmoviemakers.net
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 1887

Posted: 05 Oct 2007 03:18 PM
I missed that... Congrats on your son! Wink
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 06 Oct 2007 02:15 AM
the issue is in the mail...

glow... hope you don't mind me using your summary post... if I thought you would, I'd have asked first.

Top 25 Poster

Posted: 06 Oct 2007 07:51 AM
Thanks Rob and PJ - having a child is a wonderful experience Big Smile
(not to mention great motivation for making home movies)
PJ - of course no problem with using the summary post.

I use Firefox+Greasemonkey scripts for easier editing of forum posts, FAQs and displaying embedded images Wink
Rob is not online. Last active: 9/15/2017 4:38:19 PM Rob
www.windowsmoviemakers.net
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 1887

Posted: 15 Feb 2008 11:34 AM
This issue can now be read online - PapaJohn's Newsletter Archive

Top 25 Poster

Posted: 18 Feb 2008 08:32 PM
Ok, I saw the summary post - however the link to the crying emoticon Crying got messed up in the on-line copy.

Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Free for all, Anything Goes Forums  > PapaJohn's Newsletter  > Issue #170 - use your 'point-and-shoot' camera