[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Technical Support  > Re: Heard it before? "I cant freakin save!!!"    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Heard it before? "I cant freakin save!!!"
Bloodymess13 is not online. Last active: 11/28/2003 9:10:17 PM Bloodymess13
Total Posts: 6

Heard it before? "I cant freakin save!!!"
Posted: 19 Nov 2003 11:37 PM
Ok, I am about to go insane over this issue.

The Problem: I created a video using Windows Movie Maker Version 2.0.3312.1, I try to save as a movie, then try to save as "high quality" and then it gets to the screen that says "estimating time remaining" and immediatly goes to the error message "windows cannot save the video because the locations may have changed and you may not have enough space."

What I have done to try to solve the issue: I checked to make sure everything was in the right place, it was. I checked out papajohn.org and the problems section and read about all the possible issues. I first tryed saving the video in DV-AVI format... It works BUT for some reason it chops out bits and pieces of my video and audio in the movie. I also investigated the QASF.DLL issue, Checked it and its ok. From all i read on PapaJohn's site it seems i am having a problem with phase 1: Prerendering. I also tryed "rolling back" to Windows Movie Maker Version 1.1.2427.1. That still did not work. I tryed putting divxaf.ax back into my system32 folder (it had been taken out to make the video transitions to work) Ofcourse that just made my movie maker crash everytime i opened the project. So i took it back out. I tryed reinstalling some codecs and uninstalling the divxG400 codec. Didn't help. Finally i got fed up and decided to recreate the folder structure on my friends computer and send all the video files to my friends computer including the project. The project opened perfectly fine in Movie maker and and everything was there and working correctly. He had the EXACT same issue. It would ONLY save in DV-AVI and when it did, it skipped the EXACT same parts of the video and cut out the same portions of the songs. I tryed reinstalling movie maker 2 on my machine, didn't help. Tryed installing Windows Media Encoder 8, didn't help.

Basicly, I ran out of options and just wanted some help from pro's. This is a short video (7 minutes), I have made videos before of similar length and they have always worked perfectly fine. ALTHOUGH every other time, it has been with Movie Maker 1. I have been trying for two days to figure this out, and i believe i am far from being a "noob" in the computing aspect although i am no "pro" of Movie Maker. PLEASE HELP! I am about to go crazy over this problem! Thanks =- )
PapaJohn is not online. Last active: 2/23/2015 2:43:58 PM PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 13291

Re: Heard it before? "I cant freakin save!!!"
Posted: 19 Nov 2003 11:59 PM
Good summary. Assuming you have successfully saved movies before, I'd suspect the source file(s). Maybe you are using an MPEG2 one mixed in with the others?

What kind of source files are you using, and if it acts funny at the exact spot(s) on two computers, it seems to point more to the files. Can you save it OK if you remove the files it has issues with, or does it change to have problems with different ones?

... my website isn't here... it's at www.papajohn.org

Posted: 20 Nov 2003 02:33 PM
I am pretty sure the video is not compressed at all. All the clips used are of the same type. They were recorded using a program called "FRAPS" It records Direct3D and OpenGL rendered games. For performance reasons it does not compress the AVI files as they are created. I ran one of the AVI files through a program called "GSpot" which gives you the codec used for the AVI file, the only thing it gave me was "Video source type: 4cc: FPS1." I have made movies with moviemaker using these same types of files before and it worked fine. Also i know for a fact that alot of other people using MM have used these types of files with no problems (its a big thing in gaming). There is audio in the movie, 2 seperate songs, both are mp3 files.

Intresting points: Where the DV-AVI file skips it only skips PURE video with no transition. The clip that is being skipped only has the middle portion skipped (the part with no fade). Also I tryed deleting the clip that has the problem, After deleting the clip i edited the rest of the video to maker sure the video and audio would line up correctly, then tryed to save as a movie, it wouldn't even save as a DV-AVI any longer, it would not save AT ALL.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Posted: 20 Nov 2003 03:04 PM
I just tryed saving the movie after deleting that one clip without editing the video at all, It started to save as DV-AVI and then after a few minutes it crashed with a "Window Movie Maker has encountered a problem" error. Thought that might help in determining the issue.
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 20 Nov 2003 03:06 PM
Maybe try re-saving the source file as a DV-AVI file - using MM1 or MM2, or something else - and use the the new file as the source file instead of the problem one. At least to test the process to see it the current source file(s) are the issue.

Posted: 21 Nov 2003 12:57 AM
After HOURS of trying to get this vid to work, deleting portion by portion to figure out what was wrong i finally figured it out. It was having problems with having more then one song file. For some reason it will not work for me with more then one song. So i had to work around it by saving each song/video combination seperatly then putting them all together once they had been saved once. It took a while to get everything lined up correctly but it all payed off in the end since it worked. Thanks for your help papajohn, your website helped me greatly. I am not sure if anyone here would like to see the vid i made (considering it is a gaming video) but here is the link to it....

http://thegamersalliance.com/videos/metus.wmv - 65 megs - High quality
http://thegamersalliance.com/videos/metusLow.wmv - 25 megs - Low quality

The video is a mix of Stunts performed in a game called Grand Theft Auto:Vice City, The stunts are all done by myself and my roommate. Anyway hope you like it =- )
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 21 Nov 2003 03:26 AM
WOW!!! Nicely done and great stunts. Thanks for the links

PapaJohn

JoelFan is not online. Last active: 7/13/2004 3:59:28 PM JoelFan
Top 100 Poster
Total Posts: 8

Posted: 21 Nov 2003 08:17 AM
Wow very cool!

I would like to point out to the viewers who haven't played the game..... THOSE STUNTS ARE VERY VERY HARD TO ACCOMPLISH!!!

Posted: 21 Nov 2003 11:17 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, any feedback is welcome (good and bad).
If you really liked the vid, you might like some of the other vids i host at my site. I am the biggest host of Grand Theft Auto Stunt Videos. Here is the link to the "video library" on my site.

Http://thegamersalliance.com/videos

I would really only recommend you download these two though, all the others aren't very good honestly (as far as editing goes) =- )

http://www.thegamersalliance.com/videos/StuntManiav3.wmv - 72 megs

http://www.thegamersalliance.com/videos/LBtrwStunt2.wmv - 27 megs

If you liked the stunt aspect though you might want to check out these:
http://www.thegamersalliance.com/videos/BloodysCrazyCaddy.wmv - 18.5 megs
http://www.thegamersalliance.com/videos/2hrslater.wmv - 17.5 megs
http://www.thegamersalliance.com/videos/ilmuffins.wmv - 21.5 megs

Anyway, Enjoy the vids, and thanks again for the feedback!
Barb is not online. Last active: 7/29/2009 5:13:52 PM Barb
Top 100 Poster
Total Posts: 53

Posted: 21 Nov 2003 04:22 PM
Nice vids =)

I am not a gamer, but I do appriciate your creations.

You should post your links under the user showcase area so they don't get buried within the tech support threads. They are really unique and worth showcasing.

http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/Forums/ShowForumGroup.aspx?ForumGroupID=4

Posted: 21 Nov 2003 04:29 PM
Do you guys know any good sites where i can download more transitions and effects for MM2? I haven't looked much but i figured this would be the place to ask.
PDug is not online. Last active: 3/9/2017 8:48:49 AM PDug
Top 100 Poster
Total Posts: 57

Posted: 21 Nov 2003 05:58 PM
look here: Windows Movie Maker Add-ons
moviemagicgirl is not online. Last active: 12/13/2003 1:17:43 PM moviemagicgirl
Total Posts: 1

Posted: 13 Dec 2003 06:25 AM
You guys are life savers!!! i've been trying to figure out how to fix this problem since i got home from school which was over 12 hours ago! I'm making a video for my friend cause its her grandpa's birthday and shes supposed to pick it up tomorrow... well today... in 8 hours to be exact... and i was freaking out cause i couldnt get it to work!! THANK YOU GUYS SOOOO MUCH!!! PapaJohn you're site is VERY useful! i'll definately be using it more often now!

Thanks again!!
Lindsay
insane is not online. Last active: 5/7/2004 9:51:47 AM insane
Total Posts: 3

Posted: 05 May 2004 10:46 AM
It's great you got help, but I still have that save problem and with every video...it's really wierd. I did get to save them before and it worked pefectly, but now, it just doesen't. Can someone help?

Posted: 05 May 2004 11:14 AM
Another thing I noticed. There was something said on PapaJons website, about having multiple users. What I did was, I logged in with another user and open the projekt there, I saw that on each and every clip there was a red X. Could that be the reason, or is that just something that happeneds...?
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 05 May 2004 12:22 PM
It would happen if the source files are kept in a private user folder.... if the files are not under the My Documents umbrella, they would be available to all and the red X's shouldn't show up.

Posted: 07 May 2004 09:51 AM
Actually, I already fixed da prob, by downloadin that file, whats it called...you know.
MEP is not online. Last active: 8/1/2004 4:02:38 AM MEP

Posted: 01 Aug 2004 04:02 AM
I had no problems putting two songs on windows movie maker. http://mepvids.tripod.com

watch the first one called bombs away. It has 2 songs on the video. it was rather easy to do. I used same version of the Windows Movie Maker as you too. nice videos tho. Note: the videos on mepvids are for my clan's use only, do not steal them and do not link to them on other sites (ie hotlinking) if you do so my bandwidth on tripod will skyrocket. thx!
Scsifun is not online. Last active: 5/4/2007 8:43:53 PM Scsifun
Total Posts: 33

Posted: 25 Feb 2005 11:10 AM
Nice videos. Was that all created in Movie Maker?
fofpop is not online. Last active: 5/20/2006 5:24:05 PM fofpop

Posted: 20 May 2006 05:24 PM
I had the exact same problem. In my case it was ONE simple avi that I wanted to save without anything more. To the story I should add that I have been messing around with the codecs and the windows register, so I believe the error was there, but I had no clue what to do. So after trying lots I finally reinstalled SP2 and after that WMM has worked perfectly. It is at least a simple thing to try when nothing else works.

--filip
mrty is not online. Last active: 9/1/2006 9:01:14 AM mrty

Posted: 01 Sep 2006 09:01 AM
i need help, i hav the same problem as bloodymess did and i havnt got a cloo bout how to fixit.
i could save movies before and this 1 isnt different at all and i use fraps. when i try and save it sometimes says something about fraps codec but i dont know what it means
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Goto to page:  Prev Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Technical Support  > Re: Heard it before? "I cant freakin save!!!"